Showing 904 results

People, Organizations, and Families

Kenneth E. Kidd

  • Person

Professor Kenneth E. Kidd was born July 21, 1906 at Barrie, Ontario as the son of D. Ferguson Kidd and Florence May Jebb. He was educated at Victoria College at the University of Toronto (B.A. 1931 and M.A. 1937). He also attended the University of Chicago from 1939 to 1940. He married Martha Ann Maurer in October, 1943. In 1935 he joined the Ethnology Department of the Royal Ontario Museum where he worked until 1981 in various positions, starting as an assistant and ending as Curator of Ethnology. He directed the excavation at Ste. Marie I, the site of a 17th century Jesuit Mission near Midland, Ontario, which was the first excavation of a historical site using modern techniques, in North America. In 1964, Kidd joined Trent University as a professor of Anthropology and in the following year he established and chaired the Native Studies Program which was the first of its kind in Canada. He retired from Trent University in 1972, and in 1973, Professor Kidd was named Professor Emeritus of Anthropology. Throughout his career, Professor Kidd was honoured with many awards. Some of these awards include the Guggenheim Memorial Fellowship, 1951-52; the Cornplanter Medal, 1970; Award for Eminent Service, Trent University, 1983 (See the Trent Fortnightly Volume 13, Number 21, Thursday, May 19, 1983. Trent University Archives Reading Room); J.C. Harrington Medal, Society for Historical Archaeology, 1985; and an Honorary Degree from Trent University, 1990. He published "Canadians Long Ago" and with Selwyn Dewdney published "Indian Rockpaintings of the Great Lakes". Professor Kenneth E. Kidd died February 26, 1994, at the age of eighty-eight in Peterborough, Ontario.

David Kettler

  • Person

Professor David Kettler received his M.A. and Ph.D. from Columbia University. He began teaching Political Studies at Trent University in 1971. During his tenure, Kettler was instrumental in setting up the Social Theory program. He was on the Julian Blackburn College Academic Advisory Board from 1976 to 1979. In 1987 he began teaching Cultural Studies. He retired from Trent in 1991.

Gilbert C. Monture

  • Person

Gilbert C. Monture was born on August 27, 1896 on the Six Nations Reserve, Brant County, Ontario. He was the great grandson of Joseph Brant. In 1921, he received his Bachelor of Science degree in Mining and Metallurgy from Queen's University. Monture enlisted in World War I as a gunner in the Royal Canadian Field Artillery. In 1923 he became editor of publications for the Dominion Department of Mines and in 1929 became chief of the Division of Mineral Economics of the Mines Branch in Ottawa. During World War II, Monture worked in the Department of Munitions and Supply. Monture resigned from government service in 1956 and was appointed vice-president of Stratmat, a Canadian minerals exploration and development company. In 1957, he received the Indian Achievement Award of the Indian Council Fire for notable contributions in his field. In 1958, he was appointed honorary chief of the Mohawk tribe of the Six Nations Reserve at Brantford. He was elected a member of the Order of Canada, and in 1966 received a Vanier Medal. Monture served on the Board of Governors of Trent University from 1966-1973, and Monture House, near Rubidge Hall, was named after him. He died on June 19, 1973 in Ottawa.

William O. Mitchell

  • Person

William O. Mitchell (W.O.) was born in 1914 at Weyburn, Saskatchewan. He grew up in Florida and came back to Canada in 1931 to study at the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg. After travelling around North America and Europe he finished his BA at the University of Alberta and became a rural school teacher. He gave this up in 1944 to write full-time and was published in 1947 with Who has seen the wind. From 1948 to 1951 he was the fiction editor for McLeans Magazine and lived in Toronto, Ontario. He published a number of books, radio shows and poetry. Mitchel died in 1998. (Taken from: The Cambridge Guide to Literature in English. Great Britain: Cambridge University Press, 1993.)

Dorothy Moir

  • Person

Dorothy Moir attended University of Toronto in the Faculty of Arts program and was enrolled in the 1st year Household Science course in the 1926-1927 academic year.

Lakeland Kennels

  • Corporate body

Lakeland Kennels was located on Rice Lake in Bewdley, Ontario, and was under the proprietorship of H.J. Goss and Mrs. Goss.

National Association of Friendship Centres

  • Corporate body

The Friendship Centre movement grew from the local level initiatives of groups and individuals who helped natives cope with life in urban centres from the 1950's. Formal funding for the Centres at the Federal level of the Secretary of State began in 1972 with the Migrating Native People's program. The name of the program was changed to the Native Friendship Centre Program in 1982. The National Association of Friendship Centres itself was established in 1972. It is a non-political, non-profit organization. It has a four-person executive committee elected each year at the Annual General Meeting attended by delegates from the provincial-territorial associations and individual friendship centres. The NAFC coordinates funding and acts as central information liason between the Secretary of State and other government bodies and the provincial-territorial associations.

Carrying Place

  • Corporate body

Carrying Place is a narrow isthmus separating Weller's Bay and the Bay of Quinte on Lake Ontario. Carrying Place also connects Prince Edward County to the mainland. It is located 5 miles south of Trenton. Carrying Place was so named due to its location. It is situated at a point where the Indians and early settlers travelling by water had to portage to get from the Bay of Quinte to Lake Ontario. One of the first people to settle permanently in Carrying Place was Asa Weller in 1783. Robert Young, believed to the the second settler, received a land grant in 1792. Two other prominent families who helped to settle Carrying Place were the Wilkins and the Biggars. Some of these founding families' descendants still live in Carrying Place today. The first Church, St. John's Anglican, was built in 1811, and the first schoolhouse was opened in 1852. Unfortunately, Carrying Place never became the big city as was envisioned by the founding fathers.

David R. Morrison

  • Person

David R. Morrison was born in 1941. He held several positions at Trent University: Professor in the Department of International Development Studies and Department of Political Studies; Chair of the Association of the Teaching Staff; Dean of Arts and Science; Dean of Arts and Science and Provost; President and Vice-Chancellor (acting); Vice-President Academic (interim); and Director of the Trent International Program. He received an Eminent Service Award at Trent University in 2007. For further information about the career of David R. Morrison, visit the following web page: https://www.trentu.ca/ids/faculty-research/dr-david-morrison (last visited 13 September 2017).

Alexander Geerardt Mörzer Bruyns

  • Person

Alexander Geerardt Mörzer Bruyns was born in Holland in 1877 and emigrated to Canada in 1925 where he was recognized as a distinguished authority on agricultural affairs. Upon immigrating, he settled in Limehouse, Ontario and became a farmer and stock breeder, later moving to Acton, and then to Georgetown. He was chairman of the Live Stock Improvement Association and the Milk Producers Association. He was also author of the book, The Good Husbandry Dollar, and several articles related to agriculture. Mörzer Bruyns died in Georgetown, Ontario in 1955.

John Langton

  • Person

John Langton was born in April 1808 in England. He was educated at Trinity College in Cambridge and received his M.A. in 1832. In 1833 John emigrated to Canada and settled near Peterborough, Upper Canada. He represented Peterborough in the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada from 1851 to 1855. In 1855 he became the auditor of public accounts. Later, in the year of Confederation, he assumed the role of auditor-general of Canada and he held this position until 1878. He married Lydia Dunsford (daughter of John Harley Dunsford) in 1845 and together they had 5 sons and 2 daughters. John Langton died March 19, 1894 at Toronto. (Taken from: "The Macmillan Dictionary of Canadian Biography." 4th ed. Toronto: Macmillan of Canada, 1978.)

Native Studies slide collection

  • Corporate body

The slides in this collection have been copied from slides and photographs in various collections related to native studies located at the Archives of Ontario.

William Morrison

  • Person

William Morrison was a gold miner in California. In 1853, he was planning to go to Australia if he could find suitable passage. His brother, James, lived in Dummer Township at that time.

Henry Lapp and Hannah Hoag

  • Family

Henry Lapp, son of Jeremiah Lapp and Sarah, married Hannah Hoag, daughter of Elijah Hoag and Lydia, on April 27, 1848.

William Hamilton Munro

  • Person

William Hamilton Munro (1882-1976) was born in Peterborough, Ontario, the oldest son of George and Euphemie Hamilton Munro. He attended public school and high school in Peterborough and later entered the School of Practical Science, University of Toronto, from which he graduated in 1904. He joined the engineering staff of his grandfather's firm, the William Hamilton Manufacturing Company, for a short time and later worked for other engineering companies. First with John B. McRae of Ottawa and later with Smith Kerry & Chase of Toronto. During this period, Munro gained wide experience in dam and power house construction. In 1909, W.H. Munro was transferred to the Electric Power Company of Ontario and 1910 was appointed manager of the Peterborough Light & Power and Radial Railway Companies, branches of Electric Power. He remained in this position until 1915 when the company was expropriated by the Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario. He then joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force and went overseas as a transport officer. On his arrival in England, W.H. Munro was stationed at a reception and training base at Shorncliffe, Kent. Here he remained for eight months before being posted to northern France early in 1916. In France he was appointed workshop officer of No. 3 Canadian Ammunition Sub Park. He was still in northern France on Armistice Day, 1918 and was with the Canadian Forces during their brief occupation of Germany in 1919. On May 29, 1919, Munro married Angele Melina Marie Pouille of Bruay, Pas de Calais, France. He took his military discharge in England and joined Vickers Limited of London and Barrow-in-Furness. This involved him in water turbine engineering and sales which led to a good deal of travel. He remained in England until 1925 when he was appointed sales manager of Canadian Vickers of Montreal. Munro left Vickers in 1926 to become manager of the Nova Scotia Tramways and Power Company in Halifax. He remained in this position until 1928 when he was appointed manager of the Bolivian Power Company Limited in La Paz, Bolivia. In 1933, W.H. Munro returned to Canada and joined International Utilities Limited as general manager of one of its divisions, the Ottawa Light, Heat & Power Company until it was taken over by Ontario Hydro in 1949. He remained as manager of International Utilities until his retirement in 1951 when he and his wife returned to Peterborough, Ontario. W.H. Munro died in 1976.

Susan Neale

  • Person

Susan Jane Neale is the daughter of Colin Neale and Patricia Anne Turvey. She has two siblings, Andrew and Christina, and lives in Peterborough, Ontario with her husband Paul Joseph Hulsmans. Between 1982 and 1994, Neale worked as an archaeologist in England, Ontario, and Nunavut and from 1995 to 2001 at Fleming College as a member of faculty. Since the year 2000, she has served as Museum Director at Peterborough Museum and Archives and from 2001 to the present, also as Research Associate in Trent University’s Anthropology Graduate Program. Neale earned a Master’s degree in the Department of Anthropology at Trent University in 1985. She has served on several committees and boards at local and provincial levels and has published and presented a number of papers pertaining to archaeology, to museum management and renewal, and to emergency preparedness and recovery from a museum perspective.

Mount St. Joseph

  • Corporate body

The Sisters of St. Joseph in Peterborough were formed from various congregations in Ontario during the year of 1890. They had been requested to leave their congregations, by Bishop R.A. O'Connor, to fill a need in services which were not being provided in Peterborough such as the care of the sick. When the Sisters arrived in Peterborough they were to work at the newly opened St. Joseph's Hospital. The Sisters helped with the care of the elderly with a senior's home called Marycrest. They established an orphanage called St. Vincent's Orphanage and which operated from 1909 to 1956. For more information on the history of Mount St. Joseph see As the Tree Grows: Celebrating 100 years of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peterborough, 1890-1990 (Lindsay, Ontario: John Deyell Company Limited, 1993).

Moscrip, Allan & Company

  • Corporate body

Moscrip, Allan & Company sold hardware, machinery, and farm equipment to several businesses and individuals in the Peterborough County and United Counties of Northumberland and Durham area during the years 1853-1867.

Stephen Ogden Tiny Township Stop Dump Site 41

  • Corporate body

Over a 25-year period beginning in 1985, politicians, bureaucrats and experts worked together to establish a municipal waste landfill site on a section of farmland in the County of North Simcoe, Ontario. The proposed 50-acre site, located in Tiny Township approximately 40 kilometres northwest of Barrie, was met with wide opposition and a campaign known as “Stop Dump Site 41” was launched. Area resident Stephen Ogden, recognized as the leader of the campaign, represented the group opposing the location and attended approximately 180 environmental assessment hearings pertaining to the proposed site. The campaign reached a successful conclusion in 2010.

A few years precipitating the search for the new site, a private site known as the Pauze Dump, located in Tiny Township, was identified as a source of drinking water contamination in the area, the cause being associated with legal and illegal dumping of industrial waste. Six communities in the County of North Simcoe subsequently came together to form the North Simcoe Waste Management Association (NSWMA), with a goal of finding a new waste landfill site.

The efforts of the NSWMA resulted in the selection of the location known as Site 41 in the southern part of Tiny Township. In 1989, an application for this site was rejected after 69 days of hearings by the Environmental Assessment Board. The NSWMA challenged the decision through the Lieutenant Governor in Council; an “Order in Council” was subsequently issued, allowing the proponent an opportunity to produce more evidence. In 1996, the Joint Board, after 110 days of additional hearings, approved the site. One of the approval conditions was that a Community Monitoring Committee (CMC) was to be created to oversee the development and operation of the site. The design and operational plans were approved by the Ontario Ministry of the Environment (MOE) and a Certificate of Approval spelling out the rules of operation was issued. The County of Simcoe took over the responsibility for waste management for the entire County and this resulted in the elimination of the NSWMA. Through the actions of the CMC, the County and the MOE were obligated to respond to all concerns raised by citizens of the County.

On 31 October 2007, the County announced plans to open the new landfill site in 2009. Community resistance continued to build. First Nations opposed the site, along with many others including Maude Barlow, internationally known as an advocate of human right to water and also then national Chair of the Council of Canadians. First Nations, farmers, cottagers, and other citizens held protests opposite the proposed site and through a march to Queen’s Park and confrontations with police led to charges and arrests.

Under the weight of public pressure, the County of Simcoe passed a one-year moratorium in August 2009. A month later, the plan to build Site 41 was voted down by Simcoe County Council. In May 2010, the County asked the MOE to revoke the MOE Certificate of Approval and this request was granted. The County took action to ensure that the area known as Site 41 is never to be developed as a landfill or to have any associated use. The lands are now in private ownership and once again are being farmed.

Ross Munroe Matthews

  • Person

Ross Munroe Matthews (1909-1982) was born in Port Arthur, Ontario, as the youngest of six sons. He graduated in medicine in 1933 from the University of Toronto. He did his post-graduate training, from 1933 to 1937, at St. Michael's Hospital, St. George's Hospital for Child Study and the Department of Sick Children at the University of Toronto, Hospital of Sick Children and the Ontario Orthopaedic Hospital all of Toronto as well as the Children's Hospital of Boston. He practiced pediatrics in Hamilton and Port Arthur from 1938 to 1940; was a R.C.A.F. Medical Officer in Canada, England and Europe from 1940 to 1945; practiced Paediatrics at a Peterborough Clinic from 1945 to 1969; was staff physician at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto from 1970 to 1972 and Locum Tenens, International Grenfell Association in Happy Valley, Labrador from January to April, 1973. He retired from active practice in 1973. R.M. Matthews was active in educational and medical associations around Ontario. He sat as a member of the Peterborough Board of Education in 1949 and 1950. As well he sat as a member of the Juvenile and Family Court Committee in Peterborough from 1948 to 1961; as a member of the Board of Peterborough Foundation from 1962 to 1970; as a member of the Haliburton, Kawartha and Pine Ridge District Health Council from 1975 to 1979 and as a member of the Board of the United Way of Peterborough and District in 1978. He was also President of Medical Staff in Peterborough Civic Hospital in 1953; Chief of Staff at Peterborough Civic Hospital in 1959; President of the Peterborough County Medical Society, 1959; Chairman of the Section of Paediatrics of the Ontario Medical Association in 1961 and sat as a member of the Board of Directors, Ontario Medical Association, 1962-1968 at which time he also was chairman of the Board in 1964 and President in 1966. He was President of the Canadian Medical Association, 1969, and on the Board of Directors from 1965 to 1971. He sat on numerous other boards and committees. In 1977 he received an Honorary Doctor of Laws from Trent University. He was married and had 3 sons, 1 daughter, and 2 grandchildren as of 1980. In 1981 he produced "Oft in the Stilly Night" which was a "Recollection of family and friends". He wrote this "For the instruction, some day, of my children and my Aunt Elizabeth's grandchildren". (Taken from: Munro, R.M. "Oft in the Stilly Night.")

Marjorie McLean Oliver

  • Person

Miss Marjorie McLean Oliver was born 8 October 1909 and lived in Bobcaygeon, Ontario. Her parents were James McLean Oliver and Margaret Chase. Oliver attended the Normal School in Peterborough and received her BA from Queen's University. She became a school teacher and taught in Whitby and Peterborough. In October 1998, Oliver donated the Bobcaygeon property which her family had operated as a tourist resort, to Trent University in memory of her father, James McLean Oliver. This 270-acre property is now known as the James McLean Oliver Ecological Centre. Marjorie McLean Oliver died 28 November 2003.

Joyce C. Lewis

  • Person

Joyce Clements Lewis (nee Cartwright) was born in Toronto in 1932. She married Peter Lewis in 1957 and they had three children: Julian, Patricia and Christopher. For a number of years the family lived in Peterborough where Peter was employed at Trent University. During her life time, Lewis delivered over 100 papers and published more than 25 articles on the subject of Frances Stewart, a nineteenth-century Irish immigrant to the Peterborough area, and on matters relating to the nineteenth-century social history of Ontario. In 2006 she graduated with a Masters degree from University of Toronto where her research was focused on childhood and nineteenth-century Christmas customs.

Joyce C. Lewis was a supporter of Aldeburgh Connection, the National Ballet Company, the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir, and Trinity College, and was a volunteer with Gibson House, the Grange Committee, the Archives Committee of the Diocese of Toronto, and the Ontario Museum Association. She was also a member of the Canadian Church History Society, the Culinary Historians of Ontario, the Museum of Childhood, the Ontario Historical Society, and others. Locally, Lewis was President of the Peterborough Historical Society and a member of the Friends of the Bata Library at Trent University. Also a supporter of Trent University Archives, she was instrumental in arranging for a significant collection of original Stewart letters to be donated to the Archives by Stewart family members with whom she had met while conducting research. Lewis was also the recipient of the 2012 Ontario Historical Society Carnochan Award. She died in Toronto in 2012. (Taken in part from an Osborne tribute by Sylvia Lassam, 2012).

Results 101 to 125 of 904