Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Canada. Census.
Physical description area
10 microfilm reels.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1792, the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham were officially created in a proclamation made by Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe. The proclamation divided Upper Canada into 19 Counties for representation purposes. The United Counties are bounded by Lake Ontario in the south, Hasting County in the east, Ontario County in the west and Peterborough and Victoria Counties in the north. The town line between Hope and Hamilton Townships divide the two counties. Durham County consists of the Townships of Cartwright, Manvers, Cavan, Darlington, Clarke and Hope. Northumberland County consists of South Monaghan, Hamilton, Haldimand, Alnwick, Percy, Cramahe, Seymour, Brighton and Murray Townships. (Taken from: "Illustrated Historical Atlas of Northumberland and Durham Counties, Ontario." Belleville: Mika Silk Screening Limited, 1972.) The land which is now Peterborough County was originally part of Newcastle District before 1841, and the Colbourne District until 1850, the year when districts were replaced by counties in Upper Canada. At this time the United Counties of Peterborough and Victoria was created. In 1861, Victoria County was given independence from Peterborough. Peterbourgh County is made up of the following townships: Galway, Cavendish, Anstruther, Chandos, Harvey, Burleigh, Methuen, Ennismore, Smith, Douro, Dummer, Belmont, North Monaghan, Otonabee, and Asphodel. (taken from "Illustrated Historical Atlas of Peterborough County 1825-1875." Peterborough: The Peterborough Historical Atlas Foundation Inc., 1975.) Victoria County, formally established in 1860, is comprised of the Townships of Bexley, Carden, Dalton, Eldon, Emily, Fenelon, Laxton, Digby, Longford, Manvers, Mariposa, Ops, Somerville, and Verulam. The town of Lindsay in Ops Township is the county seat. The County is bordered in the north by the Muskoka District, in the east by Haliburton and Peterborough Counties, in the south by Lake Scugog and the Regional Municipality of Durham, and in the west by Durham and Simcoe Counties. It is 2,169 km square in area. The land in Victoria County was first opened for settlement in 1821 and the first settlers were mainly Irish, both Protestant and Catholic, and Scottish Presbyterians. By 1880, lumbering was firmly established as the main industry in the county. Quickly the region was stripped of its forests, and it was not until the 1920's that an interest in reforestation developed. Today, Victoria County is a prime grain producing region. As well, chemical industries and tourism make up the present day economic picture of the county. (Taken from: Mika, Nick and Helma. "Places in Ontario, Part III." Belleville: Mika Publishing Company, 1983.) Hastings County was proclaimed the 11th county of Upper Canada in 1792. The second largest county in Ontario, it includes nineteen municipal townships: Bangor, Wicklow and McClure, Carlow, Dungannon, Elzevir and Grimsthorpe, Faraday, Hershal, Hungerford, Huntingdon, Limerick, Madoc, Marmora and Lake, Mayo; Monteagle, Rawdon, Sidney, Thurlow, Tudor and Cashel, Tyendinaga, and Wollaston. Hastings was named after a military leader who had fought in the American Revolution, Francis Rawdon-Hastings (1754-1826). His family name was taken from the town of Hastings in Sussex, England. Until 1849 Hastings County was called the Victoria District. This was changed at that time by the Baldwin Act which replaced district councils with county councils. The first major industry in Hastings County was agriculture, and this was well-established by 1860, with Belleville having the largest saw mills west of Ottawa. Around this time, mining became an important attraction for new settlers, with the extraction of gold at Eldorado, Deloro, Gilmour, and Cordova. Once the Grand Trunk Railway began making stops in Belleville in 1856, the economy of the county improved immensely. Today tourism, lumbering and mining are the major industries of the county. (Taken from: Mika, Nick and Helma. "Places on Ontario, Part II." Belleville: Mika Publishing Company, 1981.)
The microfilm were created by the Library and Archives Canada and purchased by the Trent University Archives.
Scope and content
The 10 microfilm reels deal with the decennial manuscript census for 1901 of Peterborough County and Town, Victoria County, Northumberland County, Durham County and Hastings County. Genealogical resource.
The note from the Library and Archives Canada which accompanies this census indicates that only a microfilm copy of the 1901 census survived. This copy was made in the late 1930's. The microfilming is not of consistent quality and it may be difficult to decipher parts of this film.
Immediate source of acquisition
The microfilm were purchased from the Library and Archives Canada.
Originals located at the Library and Archives Canada.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Associated material located at the Library and Archives Canada.
For related records see: 77-028, 77-029, 77-030, 79-004, 80-001, 80-002, 83-007, and 89-001.
Microfilm located in Microform Reading Room.
Microfilm. Set 45.
Reel 1 (P.A.C. film #T06464):
Durham County, 1901
plus miscellaneous townships in Elgin & Dundas Counties
Reel 2 (P.A.C. film #T06485):
Northumberland County, 1901
Village of Hastings
plus miscellaneous townships in Norfolk County
Reel 3 (P.A.C. film #T06486):
Northumberland County, 1901 (cont'd)
plus miscellaneous townships & villages in Ontario County
Reel 4 (P.A.C. film #T06554):
Indian Agencies..., 1901
Indian Agencies in Canada, including Mud (Chemong) Lake,
Township of Smith, Peterborough County
Reel 5 (P.A.C. film #T06491):
Peterborough County, 1901
Village of Lakefield
Village of Norwood
plus miscellaneous townships in Perth County
Reel 6 (P.A.C. film #T06492):
Peterborough County, 1901 (cont'd)
Township of Peterborough
Reel 7 (P.A.C. film #T06501):
Victoria County, 1901
Anson & Hindon
Digby & Longford
Sherborne & McClintock
Village of Woodville
Town of Lindsay -- (N.B. in 2 places on film - see also after Emily Township section)
plus miscellaneous wards in City of Toronto
Reel 8 (P.A.C. film #T06502):
Victoria County, 1901 (cont'd)
plus miscellaneous townships in Waterloo County
Reel 9 (P.A.C. film #T06472):
Hastings County, 1901
Town of Deseronto
Village of Tweed
Elzevir & Grimsthorpe
plus miscellaneous wards in City of Hamilton
Reel 10 (P.A.C. film #T06473):
Hastings County, 1901 (cont'd)
Marmora & Lake
Monteagle & Herschell
Village of Stirling
City of Belleville
Town to Trenton
plus miscellaneous townships in Huron County