Fonds 92-002 - Mount St. Joseph teaching slides fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Mount St. Joseph teaching slides fonds

General material designation

  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on organization which created the slides.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

92-002

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [between 1894 and 1914] (Creation)
    Creator
    Mount St. Joseph

Physical description area

Physical description

103 photographs : glass slides ; 8.5 X 10 cm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Sisters of St. Joseph in Peterborough were formed from various congregations in Ontario during the year of 1890. They had been requested to leave their congregations, by Bishop R.A. O'Connor, to fill a need in services which were not being provided in Peterborough such as the care of the sick. When the Sisters arrived in Peterborough they were to work at the newly opened St. Joseph's Hospital. The Sisters helped with the care of the elderly with a senior's home called Marycrest. They established an orphanage called St. Vincent's Orphanage and which operated from 1909 to 1956. For more information on the history of Mount St. Joseph see As the Tree Grows: Celebrating 100 years of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peterborough, 1890-1990 (Lindsay, Ontario: John Deyell Company Limited, 1993).

Custodial history

This fonds was created by and in the custody of the Mount St. Joseph before it was donated to the Trent University Archives.

Scope and content

This fonds consists of glass slides which were used as teaching materials at Mount St. Joseph. The subjects include Tennyson: Idylls of the King, 55 slides; physiography, 15 slides; zoology, 5 slides; physics, 4 slides; English and history, 7 slides; and, European history, 6 slides. Ten of the slides in physiography, 2 slides in botany and 1 slide in chemistry were made by high school students in Lindsay.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

This fonds was donated by Sister Saint Damien of Mount Saint Joseph, Peterborough via Julie and Michael Visser.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

None

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

For related records see: 83-1027, 89-1012 and 95-004.

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres