Title and statement of responsibility area
Bobcaygeon Road : Re-survey fonds. Additions
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Photocopied [between 1963 and 1973] (Creation)
- Bobcaygeon Road
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1852, William Lyon Mackenzie introduced to the Legislative Assembly a resolution asking for a survey of the Huron-Ottawa Territory. His intent was to increase settlement within the uninhabited region of Canada West, to encourage immigration from Europe, and discourage emigration from the province. This resolution, along with similar recommendations, led to the Colonization Roads policy, and ultimately to the passing of the Public Land Act in 1853 by the Legislature. This Act allowed the government "to appropriate as free grants any public land in the province to actual settlers, upon or in the vicinity of any public roads in any new settlements which shall or may be opened through the Lands of the Crown." The survey of the Bobcaygeon Road came about as a result of this legislation. Before 1854, the Bobcaygeon Road did not extend beyond the village of Bobcaygeon. By 1857, the road had been constructed to Kinmount. A year later, surveyor Michael Deane was commissioned by the Department of Crown Lands to conduct a survey of lot frontages along the proposed Bobcaygeon Road from just north of Kinmount (Somerville Township) to Bell's Line. In 1860, surveyor Crosbie Brady was hired to survey the Bobcaygeon Road from where Deane had left off, north of Bell's Line, to Nippissing Road Line, on the south shore of Lake Nippissing. Throughout the years, the road and the lots along either side of the road have been re-surveyed for the purpose of establishing specific boundaries and correcting any mistakes in the initial surveys. All that remains of the original Bobcaygeon Road today is Highway 649 which extends from the village of Bobcaygeon to Highway 121, south of Kinmount. (Taken from: Spragge, George W. "Colonization Roads in Canada West." "Ontario History." Vol. XLIX, no. 1, 1957., and W. D. Thomas. "Bobcaygeon: The Hub of the Kawarthas." Bobcaygeon: W. D. Thomas, 1980.)
The photocopies and typescript previously belonged to the Honourable Leslie M. Frost which he acquired from the Surveys Branch of the Department of Lands and Forests, Province of Ontario (previously the Department of Crown Lands).
Scope and content
This addition to the fonds consists of photocopies of the original report, field notes, diary and index of the re-survey of free grants on the Bobcaygeon Road, south of Bell's Line. The field notes are in diagram form with remarks on soil and timber. The fonds also includes notes on side roads, Concession "A", Township of Sherbourne, Ridout, Franklin and the "Queen's Line", and the Township of Franklin. Also included is a typescript of a report dated July 15, 1862 to Hon. Wm. Macdougall, Commissioner of Crown Lands.
Immediate source of acquisition
The fonds was bequeathed to Trent University Archives by the Honourable Leslie M. Frost.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Associated material located at the Archives of Ontario (see Colonization Roads).
For related records see: 77-024, 77-1003 and 78-1002.
This fonds is an addition to 77-1002.
The report, etc. were written by J.Stoughton Dennis.
Bound copy of the field notes located in Large Material Cabinet - Drawer 26.