Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Hutchison, Dr. John
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
John Hutchison was born in 1797 in Scotland. He was the cousin of Arthur Fleming, who was father of Sir Sandford Fleming. He studied medicine at Glasgow University Medical Faculty in 1815 and came to Port Hope, Upper Canada in late 1818 by way of New York. Hutchison was granted land in Monaghan Township. He remained there until the late 1820's when he settled in Cobourg.
By 1830, Dr. Hutchison had moved into Peterborough. To prevent the doctor from leaving the city, the citizens of Peterborough built him a large stone house (north side of Brock Street, West of Bethune Street). In 1847, while treating a group of immigrants with typhus fever, Dr Hutchison succumbed to the disease, and passed away in July of the same year.