Gordon Mackay & Company

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Gordon Mackay & Company

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Gordon Mackay & Company was a retail/wholesale dry goods business operating throughout Canada. It was established in 1853, by two Scotsmen, John Gordon and John Mackay, who formed a partnership for the wholesale distribution of dry-goods in the City of Hamilton, Canada West. The company was called Gordon & Mackay. In 1859, the Company moved to Toronto, first locating at Wellington Street East, and then at the corner of Bay and Front Streets. In 1899, the Company was incorporated as Gordon Mackay Co. Limited. The great fire of 1904 in Toronto destroyed the Gordon Mackay warehouse. The first retail store was acquired in 1911, and over the next 50 years other stores were added. The more notable retail stores developed include Smith's of Windsor and the Walker Stores chain of department stores. By the early 1960's Gordon Mckay & Company had converted all of its wholesale business to retail.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places