Showing 369 results

People, organizations, and families
Corporate body

This broadside was developed to address the resolutions that were developing between the Church of Scotland and the Church of England around the time these two countries were uniting. It is addressed to the King of England regarding the religious rights of the people of Canada within the Church of Scotland.

Mather Funeral Home
Corporate body

The Mather Funeral Home, Keene, Ontario, was established in the late nineteenth century. It developed from the carriage making business of W.T. Mather (1853-1913).

Masonic Hall
Corporate body

The Royal Arthur Lodge (No. 523) is one of three Masonic Lodges in Peterborough, Ontario.

Martyn's mill and dam
Corporate body

Martyn's (Martin's) mill and dam was situated between Hilliard's Dam and Dickson's Dam on the Otonabee River immediately north of Judge Denistoun's Inverlea estate on the west side of the River. It was very close to the Otonabee and Smith Townships border. Beside the dam was a grist mill. A number of maps and plans were drawn up of the dam when a chancery case, Martyn vs. Nicholls, took place December 22, 1874. In the 1870/71 County of Peterborough Directory, published by J.C. Connor, three Martyns: John, M. and Richard are listed as millers.

Corporate body

In September 1887, an enthusiastic group of young women artists organized an art club on the plan of the Art Students League of New York. In a studio on Yonge Street Arcade they met to work together in painting, drawing, modeling and sketching from still life and living models. No instruction was given, the object being to provide an incentive and help towards self-development, to draw out (independent of the instructor) personal resources, which are necessary to individual effort. In 1890 the Club was incorporated into the "Women's Art Club" for the purpose of creating general interest in art and encouragement of women's work, through the exchange of ideas and cooperation among its members, as well as the holding of art exhibitions and lectures. The motto chosen was that of the old Plantin Printers of Antwerp "Labore et Constantia" by Labour and Constancy. While the motto is kept in evidence, few now remember that the colours of the Association are red and white and the emblem the wild rose. In April, 1930, the Association affiliated with the Lyceum Club of London, England, and is now known as the Lyceum Club and Women's Art Association of Canada. Members are assured of a welcome in any of the International Lyceum Clubs. In March, 1905, the Women's Art Association of Toronto held its first exhibition in Peterborough. This exhibition of paintings and handicrafts was arranged by members of the Toronto association resident in Peterborough, and was such a success that it was decided to form a branch association, and on March 28, 1905, the Peterborough Branch of the Women's Art Association was organized. In December 1998, the organization voted to cease its connection with the Lyceum Club and its name became the Women’s Art Association of Canada, Peterborough Branch.

Corporate body

Lubicon Lake Cree Indian Band resides near Lubicon Lake in Northern Alberta, away from the Athabasca and Peace River systems and populated posts. They lived quietly as a hunting and trapping society until the 1970's when the push for fossil fuels came into force in Alberta. A treaty, called Treaty 8, was sent out in 1899/1900 to adhere the natives in the entire area but it missed the Lubicon Lake Band because they were so isolated. The Band contends that they do not have to adhere to this Treaty since they had never done so before. They are fighting with the federal government for recognition and a separate treaty. Unfortunately the push for fossil fuels by the Alberta government and others has invaded the traditional hunting and trapping grounds of the Lubicon Lake Band and as a result they are struggling to retain their way of life. (Taken from: Myers, Kenneth Murray. "The Struggle for a Way of Life: The History of the the Lubicon Lake Cree Land Claim (1899-1989)." 1990) As of September 1996 the land claim dispute has not been settled.

Corporate body

In 1795, the Protestant Orange Order was formed at Loughgall, County Armagh, Ireland, to commemorate the victory of William of Orange at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690. The immediate aim of the Orange Order was to protect the local Protestant community from Catholic aggression, but the organization quickly assumed the larger role of defending the Protestant Ascendency in the Government of Ireland. Within the next five years, Orange Lodges had sprung up across the Protestant sectors of Ireland and in the industrial centres of England. As well, the movement had spread across the Atlantic with the emigration of Irish settlers. The first Grand Lodge of British North America was founded in Brockville, Upper Canada, January 1, 1830, by Ogle R. Gowan. By 1835, there were 154 Orange Lodges in British North America. Orangeism had arrived in Upper Canada at the beginning of the 19th century, but the history of the Orange Order is unclear until 1830. For many pioneer men, the Orange Lodge was more of a social organization than a religious organization. It was not necessary, as it was in Ireland, for the lodge to act in a protective manner against the aggression of Catholics. The Orange Lodge provided its members with a sense of fraternity, loyalty, conviviality, identity, and continuity. This was important to the early pioneers who had settled in the region, as feelings of isolation and dislocation were common. Orangemen had pass words and secret signs of recognition for each other. Also, an Orangeman could advance through several levels based on his stature and competence within the organization: the Orange, the Blue, the Royal Arch Purple, the Scarlet, and the Black Knight. Orange Lodges were quickly established in the Peterborough region between 1830 and 1833 due to the settlement of large numbers of Irish Protestant emigrants. Later, the British and Scottish settlers in the region would join the lodge. Orangeism remained strong in Ontario over the following 160 years, and in the City of Peterborough, an Orange Hall still exists. (Taken from: Houston, Cecil J. and William J. Smyth. The Sash Canada Wore. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1980.)

Loyal Orange Lodge
Corporate body

In 1795, the Protestant Orange Order was formed at Loughgall, County Armagh, Ireland, to commemorate the victory of Wiiliam of Orange at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690. The immediate aim of the Orange Order was to protect the local Protestant community from Catholic aggression, but the organization quickly assumed the larger role of defending the Protestant Ascendency in the Government of Ireland. Within the next five years, Orange Lodges had sprung up across the Protestant sectors of Ireland and in the industrial centres of England. As well, the movement had spread across the Atlantic with the emigration of Irish settlers. The first Grand Lodge of British North America was founded in Brockville, Upper Canada, January 1, 1830, by Ogle R. Gowan. By 1835, there were 154 Orange Lodges in British North America. Orangeism had arrived in Upper Canada at the beginning of the 19th century, but the history of the Orange Order is unclear until 1830. For many pioneer men, the Orange Lodge was more of a social organization than a religious organization. It was not necessary, as it was in Ireland, for the lodge to act in a protective manner against the aggression of Catholics. The Orange Lodge provided its members with a sense of fraternity, loyalty, conviviality, identity, and continuity. This was important to the early pioneers who had settled in the region, as feelings of isolation and dislocation were common. Orangemen had pass words and secret signs of recognition for each other. Also, an orangeman could advance through several levels based on his stature and competence within the organization: the Orange, the Blue, the Royal Arch Purple, the Scarlet, and the Black Knight. Orange Lodges were quickly established in the Peterborough region between 1830 and 1833 due to the settlement of large numbers of Irish Protestant emigrants. Later, the British and Scottish settlers in the region would join the lodge. Orangeism remained strong in Ontario over the following 160 years, and in the City of Peterborough, an Orange Hall still exists. (Taken from: Houston, Cecil J. and William J. Smyth. The Sash Canada Wore. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1980.)

Liberal Party of Canada
Corporate body

The Liberal Party has dominated federal politics throughout the 20th century. The party first developed its formula for success under the leadership of Sir Wilfrid Laurier, who was Prime Minister from 1896 to 1911. The party's ideologies developed from its position as the opposition in the 19th century and they are based on reform principles and the concept of responsible government. The Liberal Party has traditionally been anti-British in its policies and platforms unlike its Conservative counterpart. Notable Liberal leaders include Sir Wilfrid Laurier, William Lyon Mackenzie King, Lester B. Pearson, and Pierre Elliot Trudeau. (information taken from "The Canadian Encyclopedia," first edition, 1985)

Lakeland Kennels
Corporate body

Lakeland Kennels was located on Rice Lake in Bewdley, Ontario, and was under the proprietorship of H.J. Goss and Mrs. Goss.

Lakefield Heritage Research
Corporate body

Lakefield Heritage became Lakefield Heritage Research in 1990. The research organization is based out of Lakefield, Ontario. Gordon Young, the editor at Lakefield Heritage Research, has contributed a great deal to this collection. Other researchers in this organization include Steve McCracken and Kevin McCarthy.

Corporate body

The Labour-Progressive Party (LPP) was representative of the working classes in Canada. The Labour Party based its ideas on the Trade and Labour Congress which was formed in 1900. Sub-groups such as the National Federation of Labour Youth were organized to help different age groups of the working class. During the war with Korea, Monica Felton, a LLP supporter travelled to Korea to see first hand the war atrocities which had been committed against the people of Korea. When she returned to Canada she issued a booklet detailing her trip and what she saw. The LLP supported peace so that Canadians could acquire job security and raise their standard of living. The Party advocated a free and independent Canada from American domination. It was dedicated to peace and friendship with all the world where the democratic will of the people decided their destiny. It offered freedom from fear of unemployment in which the right to work was guaranteed. It wanted to offer a secure homeland for all from birth to ripe old age.

Keystone View Company
Corporate body

The Keystone View Company was established in the summer of 1892 by B.L. Singley, an enthusiastic amateur photographer in Meadville, Pennsylvania. Keystone was to become the most important publisher of stereographs in the twentieth century. Keystone went on to publish several series of stereograph cards such as images of mining and mineral industries, national parks of America, the world, American history, President McKinley's funeral, World War I, Cascade Park, and the Tennessee State Centennial. By 1920, Keystone was the only major publisher of stereographs in the world. They had offices in London, Paris, Sidney, Capetown, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo. Part of this prominence was derived from the sale of World War I stereograph sets, as Keystone was one of the only publishers to secure permission to photograph battlefields and military operations. Unfortunately, permission was not granted until the end of 1918, just before Armistice, so many of the photographs depict scenes taken after the end of the war. The photographer of the World War I photographs was Andrew S. Iddings. The Keystone View Company ceased regular production in 1939 but continued to manufacture views for optometric purposes. As well, they filled individual orders for stereographs until 1970. (Taken from: Darrah, William C. "The World of Stereographs." Gettysburg: W.C. Darrah Publisher, 1977.)

Kawartha Rail-Trail
Corporate body

"Kawartha Rail-Trail is a community based non-profit organization committed to the public ownership of abandoned Canadian National Railway (C.N.R.) lines in the Kawartha Lakes Region for recreation, conservation, and heritage purposes."(Taken from Kawartha Rail-Trail brochure in this accession). To date, Kawartha Rail-Trail extends from Lindsay in the west to Hastings in the east and Lakefield in the north. Kawartha Rail-Trail is a small part of the national Canadian Rails to Greenways Network and the Ontario Trail Council. Kawartha Rail-Trail has the potential to link its development to other developments existing in adjacent areas.

Corporate body · 1990-2020

The Kawartha Artists Gallery and Studio (KAGS), founded by Dorothy Martin, was a not-for-profit artist collective located in Peterborough, established in June 1990 in the basement of the Peterborough Public Library’s De La Fosse branch. Some of the well-known, founding members include George Elliot, Poul Thrane, Ann Cossar, John Norton, and Neil Broadfoot. For a $25 membership fee, they offered the opportunity for artists to access to exhibition space with a hanging fee and no commission on sales, individual painting space, storage space for materials and unfinished work, and use of worktables, easels, work areas, kitchen and washroom facilities. They showcased demonstrations during exhibitions, held workshops for young children and adults, and hosted various art events and contests. They aimed to bring together local artists, both professional and aspiring, to support the growth of arts and culture in the surrounding area.

Katchewanooka Herald
Corporate body

The Katchewanooka Herald is a handwritten newspaper created by agricultural students on Colonel Samuel Strickland's farm (the Agricultural College) during the mid-1800's. An article found in the February 15th, 1858 issue implies that the first volume covers the issues beginning April 14, 1856 and ending February 15, 1858. However, there are issues dated 1855. The words "Volume IInd" [Volume Two] are found in large script for the first time on the issue dated March 1st, 1858.

Kanawa Canoe Museum
Corporate body

The Kanawa Canoe museum was located in Haliburton, Ontario. The director and founder was Professor Kirk Wipper of the University of Toronto. The Canadian Canoe Museum was taken over by a Board of Directors centered at Trent University beginning in 1990. This steering committee was set up in 1980 to investigate "the feasibility of establishing the Kanawa International Museum at Trent". A management consultant was subsequently hired to advise on the location and future development of Kanawa. Kanawa is now known as the Canadian Canoe Museum.

Journal of Canadian Studies
Corporate body

The Journal of Canadian Studies started off as an idea for a "Learned Journal" similar to the Queen's Quarterly but called the Trent Quarterly. As ideas were formulated by President T.H.B. Symons and others it came about that the need for a learned journal in Canadian Studies was necessary to the field of Canadian Studies. On 1 June 1964 during the first meeting of the Committee of the Learned Journal it was decided to call the new journal The Journal of Canadian Studies. Professor S.G. Denis Smith was chair of the meeting and other members in attendance at the meeting were Dean M.G. Fry, Mr. J.D.P. Martin and Professor J.S. Pettigrew. In the press release on 7 July 1964 issued by Trent University the Journal was to cover such Canadian topics as history, politics, anthropology, art, literature, theatre, economics and sociology. The Journal solicits manuscripts ranging from 2,000 to 10,000 words in length, English or French, dealing with some aspect of Canadian Society or history and of general as well as specialized scholarly interest. The first editor of the Journal was Denis Smith and the associate editor was Bernard R. Blishen. A number of Trent faculty members, such as Kenneth E. Kidd, T.H.B. Symons as well as Ronald J. Thom, sat on the editorial and advisory boards. The Journal was "founded in the belief that the life and history of Canada, still largely unexamined, deserve[d] common study by persons of many approaches and attitudes." (Journal of Canadian Studies Vol. 1, page 2). The symbol used to represent the Journal of Canadian Studies is Samuel de Champlain's astrolabe which he had lost in 1613 while crossing a portage in the upper Ottawa River valley. The astrolabe now resides in the Canadian Museum of History. From 1966 to 2015, the Journal of Canadian Studies was published quarterly by Trent University. Beginning with Volume 49.3 (Fall 2015), it became part of the University of Toronto Press’s Journals publishing program.

Corporate body

John Gourley Pierce (1918-2003) was a Peterborough land surveyor and the son of John Wesley Pierce, also a land surveyor, and Mable Pierce. He graduated from Queen's University, served with the Royal Canadian Engineers in Italy and Europe during WWII where he won the Military Cross for Valour. On returning from the war, he joined his father's survey firm, which then became Pierce & Pierce Land Surveyors, in Peterborough, Ontario. In 1947 he completed the survey of the Ontario-Manitoba boundary started by his father in the 1920's. He was President of the Ontario Land Surveyors Association. He was also active in the community and earned numerous awards, among them a citation for outstanding contribution by the Ontario Land Surveyors Association, a City of Peterborough Award of Merit, Rotary's Paul Harris Fellowship, a Sir Sandford Fleming College Fellowship in Applied Education, and the Governor General's Caring Canadian Award.

John Wesley Pierce (1886-1949), father of John Gourley Pierce, was born in 1886 in Eaton, Quebec, the son of Reverend Barry Pierce and Catherine Farnswoth. He attended University of Toronto and was a member of both the Dominion and Ontario Land Surveyors Associations. He was responsible for the definition of the Ontario-Manitoba boundary, begun in 1921 and finally completed by his son in 1947. Until 1932, he worked for the Topographical Survey Branch of the Dominion Department of the Interior and traveled from New Brunswick to the North-West Territories. In 1932 he settled in Peterborough, Ontario and started the survey firm which would become Pierce & Pierce Land Surveyors. (Biographical account supplied by Catherine Cramer).

John Bertram & Sons
Corporate body

John Bertram & Sons was a business in Dundas, Ontario in the early Twentieth Century.

J.J. Turner & Sons
Corporate body

J.J. Turner & Sons was a commercial sign distributor (and general retailer) in Peterborough, Ontario.

Corporate body

Jamaican Self-Help (Peterborough) was a registered charitable organization founded in Peterborough, Ontario in 1978 by teachers Rosemary and John Ganley. Registered in 1980, JSH (Peterborough) operated under the slogan "empowering people and building community” and was part of a larger organization of Canadians "working in solidarity to foster the development of healthy Jamaican communities through partnership based on mutual respect, understanding and a shared vision of self-determination; and foster an understanding of global forces North and South and their interconnectedness." (taken from: https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/jamaican-self-help/). Over its 43-year history, JSH (Peterborough) was concerned with issues of racism, colonialism, poverty and other matters which it addressed through its educational activities; it had numerous ties to other local and international agencies and organizations and links to Trent University through faculty and students. JSH closed its Peterborough office in 2016. The organization continued on a volunteer basis until closing permanently in 2021.

Corporate body

The Crawford’s Grove Chapter of the Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire (IODE) in Peterborough, Ontario, began on 9 December 1957. Mrs L.V. Hearn gathered a group of women in her home to discuss the idea of beginning the IODE Chapter. The IODE Chapter was officially sworn in on 26 February 1958 in the Green Room of the local YWCA. The members of the IODE dedicated their time to supporting education within the community and abroad, providing food and goods to charity events, and assisting in fundraisers throughout the city. The information regarding the first 25 years of service of the IODE was provided by a document in the record written by Archivist, Jane Porter.

Corporate body · 1987-

The International Camping Fellowship (ICF) is a membership organization extending worldwide to promote international cooperation and understanding through organized camping and to coordinate the exchange of news and information between individuals, camps and organizations in different countries. It was founded in 1987 by camp professionals at a meeting at Camp Tawingo in Huntsville, Ontario, Canada, where Dick Chamberlain was appointed as the first ICF president . Jack Pearse served as president from 1998-2003, Jenny Bowker served from 2003-2008, Valery Kostin served from 2008-2014, John Jorgenson served from 2014-2020. Fahrettin Gozet is the sixth and current ICF president since 2020.
The International Camping Congress, organized by ICF, is a worldwide assembly of camps and camp professionals who share their knowledge and commitment to the camp and outdoor experience. This event occurs every third year in different locations around the world to provide an opportunity for camp education professionals, students and friends of camping to meet, network, and discuss ideas and views. This includes a research forum, study tours, continuous keynote speakers and a variety of workshops.

INSTRUCT Programme
Corporate body

The Inter-American Networking for Studies and Training in Natural Resources Usage for Community Transformation (INSTRUCT Programme) was a Trent University led, CIDA supported project that was active from 1997-2003. INSTRUCT involved stakeholders from Ecuador, Mexico, and Canada.

INSTRUCT provided countries in Latin America with environmental training to clean up degraded watersheds. The two watersheds that were part of INSTRUCT’s project were in Rio Texcoco, Mexico and Lago San Pablo, Ecuador.

INSTRUCT’s main objective was to use the framework of Integrated Ecosystem Management (IEM) to promote and enhance positive relationships between local institutions and communities and their natural environment and resources.

Dr. Chris Metcalfe and Dr. David Morrison of Trent University directed the program and Linda Slavin was the Programme Manager. There were also opportunities for graduate students from the academic institutions involved in INSTRUCT to perform fieldwork in Mexico and Ecuador. There were also seminars and workshops that took place at Trent University. One of the workshops was called “Practical Ways of Sharing Equity” and one of the seminars was called “Roots of our Future”.

Other Canadian organizations involved in INSTRUCT included the University of New Brunswick, Guelph University, Kawartha World Issues Centre, Horizons of Friendship, Sir Sandford Fleming College, Otonabee Region Conservation Authority, the Ministry of Environment and Energy and the Ministry of Natural Resources. Latin American organizations involved in the project included la Corporación para la Defensa del Lago San Pablo, El Centro de Estudios Pluriculturales, El Centro Panamericano es Estudios y Investigaciones Geográficas, la Pontificia Universidad Católica de Ecuador, University of Chapingo, el Colegio Postgraduados and the INSTRUCT Mexico office.