Fonds consists of two letters and 5 watercolour paintings. One letter is from Susanna Moodie to Mrs. Katie Vickery, Susanna Moodie's daughter, which is undated. The second letter is from Moodie's her publisher in England congratulating her upon the success of Roughing it in the Bush and enclosing a contract for a subsequent book entitled _Mark Huddleston. The watercolour paintings are by Susanna Moodie and all depict flowers.
This accession consists of one dictionary, of which the title page is missing. The oldest date pencilled in appears to be 1780. Signatures include Robert Stewart, William Reid, Mary Stewart, and John Stewart. The dictionary, referred to as "Old Noah" by the Reid family, was passed down through several generations of Reid family. It originated in Ireland, and was brought to Canada by Robert and Maria Reid.
This accession consists of copy photographs, several of which are of originals in the Reid family photograph album and date from the 1840's to 1900's. One is of the Robert Henry "Harry" Devinish Reid family accompanied by an identification sheet with vital statistics for each member. Included also is a set of ten copy photographs of three generations of the Reid family. This set is accompanied by a family chart providing statistics for those listed.
This 73-page typewritten manuscript is an anecdotal record of the information McBain amassed about the properties in northeast Cavan Township. It includes a record of the hamlet of Springville west of the Cavan-Monaghan boundary and of Fairmount (formerly Morrow), a crossroads on the 12th Line, and references to Ida and Mount Pleasant on the middle road. There are in-depth references to properties and families on the 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th lines east of the middle road to the Monaghan boundary.
This collection consists of a number of articles written by Norman McBain about families in Cavan and about topics of interest in the Cavan area, i.e. inns, taxes, schools, etc. It also includes the following: an article by E.S. Clarry on an 1821 petition to the King regarding voting rights; a bylaw re taverns; the history of Fairmount Church and Methodist givings; an 1896 ballot for Cavan officers; a clipping re George Berry; a list of Overseers of Highways, fence viewers, etc.; an audited financial statement of Cavan for 1875; a newspaper report of Cavan Council business; an invoice re sidewalks; notes on Cavan town hall; and several pages of original hand-written notes re persons holding various offices in Cavan. Also included are copies of clippings re Cavan Blazers, school graduation results, etc.
This 8-page, typewritten manuscript is entitled "Folk Songs of Peterborough" and consists of a brief overview of the folk song tradition of the Peterborough area. Fowke indicates that the Peterborough region is one of the richest in Ontario and credits this in large part to the significant Irish representation in the County. She mentions by name individuals who can sing old songs brought from the old country, or songs learned in the lumbering shanty and carried down from generation to generation. She quotes songs that give specific reference to places such as Kinmount, Omemee, Gannon's Narrows, Tory Hill, etc. Farming traditions, love ballads, and jail terms all find their places in the canon.
The grasses scrapbook was compiled by Catharine Parr Traill for her friend James Fletcher and given to him 12 January 1894. The inside cover has the following inscriptions: "Grasses from Stony Lake gathered and mounted by Cathe Parr Traill - Aged 92 years." These specimens are from the Island of Minne Wa-Wa and Otter Island. July-September 1893" and "With Mrs.Traill's kind wishes to her much valued and esteemed friend James Fletcher F.S.L.S. & etc. January 12th, 1894". The scrapbook consists of 20 pages, 18 of which have pressed grasses, from the Stoney Lake area of the Island of Minne Wa-Wa and Otter Island, glued onto them. Also included in the scrapbook is a specimen list of the grasses and a photocopy of an article, entitled "Grasses from Stony Lake Gathered and Mounted by Cathe Parr Traill - Aged 92 Years". The article was written by William G. Dore and published in The Ontario Naturalist in 1966.
The framed mosses were gathered by Catharine Parr Traill in the Stoney Lake area. Prior to the Archives receiving this addition, the pages were taken apart, mounted and framed in two frames each containing three pages of mosses; one medium frame containing "Sedges & grass, with mosses, from the bank below the garden at Westove. Gathered and arranged for Katie. With Grandmother's dear love. Oct. 24th, 1889"; and one small frame with Traill's autograph.
This item is an affectionate letter written by John Black from [Stockton] to his wife, Catherine Black, living in Carleton Place, Upper Canada. Black expresses his sorrow at not being able to send money to his wife for such a long time. He indicates the "very hard winter" and problems at his workplace, a "shop in town" which builds wagons, as reasons for not having any money to send.
This item is a pamphlet regarding the Brown Memorial rededication at Centenary Park in Peterborough, Ontario.
Edward Templeton Brown, grandson to Frances and Thomas Stewart, was born at Goodwood, the family farm in Douro Township, Canada West, on December 24, 1852 to Edward Wilson Brown and Elizabeth Lydia Stewart. In 1879 he went to the Northwest Territory to help survey Riding Mountain National Park. After the survey was completed he worked for the Hudson's Bay Company. In 1880 he joined a party, led by Major Boulton, heading for the Shell River area of western Manitoba to settle on land. He joined Boulton's Scouts and during the Battle of Batoche was killed in action on May 12, 1885. The community in Peterborough decided to raise a memorial stone to Edward Brown to commemorate his death in the Riel Uprising.
This fonds consists of correspondence, photographs, family biographical information, notes and research for speeches, alderman election materials, accounts, land ownership documents, business records and newspaper clippings pertaining to the personal and political career of John Beverley Robinson. Also included in the fonds is research material of Mrs. Forsyth Grant, daughter of J.B. Robinson and President of the Women's Canadian Historical Society of Toronto.
This fonds consists of photocopied correspondence of the Stewart and Dunlop families. Most of the letters are to Ellen Dunlop (daughter of Frances Browne Stewart) from Frances Stewart, Catharine Parr Traill and Harriet Beaufort as well as James Wallis. Also included is a Stewart family tree.
This addition to the fonds represents a compendium of Stewart materials. It consists of 5 volumes of transcriptions of letters, journals and other papers of Frances Stewart of Douro Township, Upper Canada, and other family members. These 5 volumes transcribe materials of varying provenance and location and were made by Jean Shearman and her sisters. Interfiled within the volumes is the Stewart-Dunlop fonds (94-007) which is comprised of photocopies of correspondence and a family tree; the correspondence is interfiled where it would naturally occur chronologically and the family tree is located at the beginning of Vol. 1. Note: In 2013, the original letters were received for many of the 94-007 items; the originals are processed as 13-008.
This fonds consists of six photographs of "Blyth", the home of John Langton and his family. The photos were taken in 1911 and 1912. The home, which has since been demolished, was close to Fenelon Falls on Sturgeon Lake. The people in the photographs are not identified. Written on an envelope, included with the photographs, is "1911 & 1912. Old photos of "Blyth" Given to M. McCulloch by Mrs. [Frances] George Douglas."
This addition to the fonds consists of 10 letters (some fragments) written by Frances Stewart to her granddaughter and relatives in England, concerning her pioneer life in the Peterborough area. There is also one photograph of Harriet as young child which was photographed in London, England (biographical information is written on the back of the photograph).
This item is a report of the selection and despatch of the Irish immigrants that Peter Robinson settled in the Peterborough area in 1825, including names of the ships used, numbers carried, a list of townships in which the immigrants settled and the results of the harvests in 1826. A transcript of the report is included.
This fonds consists of records relating to the professional and personal lives of Dr. Henry Turner (Sr.) and Dr. Henry A. Turner (Jr.), both medical doctors of the Millbrook area. The medical publications, prescription day books, office records, customer account books, transaction day books, stock books, business and domestic records and invoices, glass x-rays, and correspondence depict the lives of each man respectively, spanning the years 1872 to 1936. Also included are personal and business-related records of Alice Turner, nurse, daughter of H.A. Turner (Sr.). A Farmers and Business Directory for Peterborough and the United Counties has been catalogued and removed to the Trent Collection.
This addition to the fonds consists of photographs (approximately 141) taken by George Douglas on his many canoe trips [ca. 1920] in the Chandos, Burleigh, and Anstruther townships area and encompassing such towns and waterways as Lakefield, Stoney Lake, Loon Lake, Eel's Creek and Apsley. There is also a photocopy of an article entitled "George Douglas - Trip to Loon Lake 1925".
Folders are arranged as such:
Photographs (approximately 100 5"x7"s) taken by George Douglas on canoe trips in the Chandos, Burleigh, and Anstruther townships area [c:1920]
Photographs (approximately 35 8"x10"s) taken by George Douglas on canoe trips in the Chandos, Burleigh, and Anstruther townships area [c:1920]
Photocopy of an article entitled "George Douglas - Trip to Loon Lake 1925"
loose in box: small envelope containing 6 negatives and 4 photographs re: George Douglas canoe trips in the Chandos, Burleigh, and Anstruther townships area [c:1920]
This fonds has extensive personal genealogical research material collected by John A. Bradshaw, Crown Attorney and Clerk of the Peace for the City of Peterborough from 1948 to 1974. The fonds includes correspondence with genealogists, notes, photocopies of related passages, poems, and chapters of books and other published material, photographs and a 1757 edition of The London Chronicle.