Showing 904 results

People, Organizations, and Families

Sherin family

  • Family

Henry Sherin and Elizabeth Moulds were married May 1, 1814 in Ireland and emigrated to Canada, in 1822, settling near Cobourg, Upper Canada. Their son, John C. Sherin, born in 1827, moved from the Cobourg region to Lakefield in 1854. He opened the first general store in the area in 1855, J.C. Sherin and Son. In 1861, John C. was made Justice of the Peace for Douro Township. He was married to Elizabeth Fee, and later to Mrs. Schofield. In 1881, John C. sold the family store to the firm of the Madill Brothers, but bought it back in 1885 and moved into the dry goods trade. John C. died May 24, 1901. J. Henry Sherin, son of John C. Sherin and Elizabeth Fee, was born in 1867 and educated at Pickering College. J. Henry (Harry) continued to operate the family store for 35 years after his father's death. He was also Lakefield's C.P.R. agent for 48 years. J. Henry Sherin was married to Mary Mabelle Rathbone in October, 1902. Together they had four sons, Playter, George, John, and Harry. J. Henry died in December 1952, at the age of 85. His son Harry attended the Ontario Agricultural College in Guelph, Ontario, and when he returned to Lakefield in 1946, he opened the Sherindale Hatchery, which he operated until 1964. In 1963 he married Mrs. Gretchen Kraus of Lakewood, Ohio and they had one son, Timothy Sherin. Harry's brother Playter Sherin also had a son, Dr. John P. Sherin, who resided in Lakefield after attending the University of Toronto Medical School. His medical office was located on the site of his great grandfather's first store.

Sheila Boyd

  • Person

Annie Sheila Boyd (1894-1982) was the daughter of Mossom Martin Boyd and Ida Lillian de Grassi, and the granddaughter of Mossom Boyd. She never married.

Shearman Family

  • Family

Jean Shearman (1925-2005) and Elizabeth Shearman Hall (1920-2015) were the great-great-granddaughters of Frances Browne Stewart (1794-1872) and Thomas Alexander Stewart (1786-1847), who immigrated from Ireland to Douro Township in 1822. They were sisters of Rev. John Shearman. Their grandmother, Anna Maria Stewart Williams, was the granddaughter of Thomas Alexander Stewart and Frances Browne Stewart, and the daughter of William Stewart. Jean Shearman was born 28 August 1925 and lived in Toronto, Ontario; she died in 2005. Elizabeth Shearman Hall was born 7 March 1920; she died in 2015. The sisters dedicated much of their lives to transcribing the Frances Stewart letters and creating a biographic reference guide to them and all associated families.

Shakespeare Club

  • Corporate body

The Shakespeare Club, Peterborough's oldest ladies' club, was founded by Dr. Jessie Birnie in approximately 1912. The club did not meet during World War I but has met continuously since 1918. For the most part the club studied and produced plays written by Shakespeare. Studies by the club have included queens of history, great rivers, famous women of history, political studies, world religions, famous authors, poets, playwrights, composers, artists as well as countries and ancient civilizations of the world including studies of these civilizations' arts and literature. Meetings were usually held in members homes with a paper being read about some aspect of what was currently being studied. Food befitting the topic of the occasion was usually supplied for after the meeting. Open meetings were popular as members were able to bring their husbands. The structure of the Club has changed over the years as parliamentary procedure gave way after, World War II, to peculiar Shakespearean rules. Membership elections were eliminated and other methods of selecting the executive were arranged over the years. The Club, with the advent of the Stratford festival, studied pieces being performed for particular seasons and started taking trips to Stratford, Ontario, Niagara-on-the-Lake and the National Arts Centre in Ottawa.

Seymour Township

  • Corporate body

Seymour Township, located in the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham (east portion of Northumberland), is bounded on the north by Belmont Township, Peterborough County, on the south by Brighton and Murray Townships, on the east by Rawdon Township, Hastings County, and on the west by Percy and Asphodel Townships, Peterborough County. Seymour Township was partially surveyed in 1819 by Brown, and the survey was completed in 1833, by Major Campbell. The township is traversed by two rivers, the Trent and the Crow, both of which provided excellent sources of water power throughout the township. The population of Seymour was 2,117 in 1850, and had more than doubled by 1871 to 4,289. Native Indians accounted for approximately two thirds of the population, while settlers of English, Irish and Scottish origin comprised the remaining portion. Most of the very early settlers in the region were half-pay military and naval officers. Major Campbell, is the man for whom the town of Campbellford is named. Campbellford was incorporated in 1876. Due to the water power created by the Trent River, the town of Campbellford quickly became a manufacturing centre with several grist mills, saw mills and woolen mills. The land of Seymour Township was extremely fertile, and lent itself well to farming and agricultural enterprise of the early settlers. Today, Seymour Township still remains largely an agricultural region in Northumberland County.

Seth Soper Smith

  • Person

Seth Soper Smith was a lawyer who practiced in Port Hope, Ontario in the early 1900's.

Serpent Mounds Foundation

  • Corporate body

The Serpent Mounds Foundation of Peterborough was founded March 22, 1956, as a non-profit organization. The founding members of the foundation all had a common belief in the ethnological and archaeological importance of the Peterborough Serpent Mounds and wanted to create a group whose interests would lie in protecting the site. In the past, the Serpent Mounds had incurred irreparable damage by well and not so well intentioned persons digging for relics. The purpose of the foundation was: to promote the systematic and sustained archaeological investigation of the Rice Lake Serpent Mounds; to assist in the development of the site as an educational and tourist centre; to co-operate with the Royal Ontario Museum and the Parks Division of the Ontario Department of Lands and Forests in these endeavours; to be a local focus point to stimulate interest in the work and support for it; and to provide and administer funds which would enable a thorough archaeological "dig" and study to begin in the summer of 1956 and to continue for four years following 1956.

Scott Young

  • Person

Scott Young was born in 1918 in Cypress River, Manitoba. He started his writing career at age 18 for the Winnipeg Free Press in 1936. He was soon writing sports columns in Winnipeg, and later Toronto, and in 1949 published the first of 40 books. He has written a number of books which cover parts of his own life such as "Neil and Me"-- a book about his son Neil Young; and "A Writer's Life"-- an autobiography. His career in journalism has produced thousands of articles for "The Globe and Mail", "The Telegram", "Sports Illustrated", "Maclean's" and other magazines during the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's. Scott served in the Royal Canadian Navy during World War II (1944-1945). Previous to this he was sent to England by Canadian Press (CP) to cover the news of the War. He has received numerous awards and a Doctorate of Letters, Honoris Causa, from Trent University. He has been married three times (Edna Blow Ragland aka Rassy; Astrid Carlson Mead; and Margaret Hogan) and has a number of children and step-children (Neil, Bob; Deidre, Astrid; Maggie, Caitlin and Erin).

S.C. Shaw

  • Person

S.C. Shaw was an artist who painted in the Peterborough region in the early 1940's.

Save Maple Mountain Committee

  • Corporate body

The Save Maple Mountain Committee was created for the purpose of stopping the development of a proposed ski resort in the Maple Mountain - Lady Evelyn wilderness area north of North Bay, Ontario in 1973.

Sarsfield Sheehy

  • Person

Sarsfield Sheehy was a student of the Peterborough Collegiate Institute in 1909.

Samuel Strickland

  • Person

Samuel Strickland (1804-1867) came to Canada in 1825. He first spent time in Newcastle District and then later cleared some property for a farm in Otonabee Township. He later sold his farm and purchased land in Douro and there he began clearing land at the present site of Lakefield. He was active in church, military and town life. In 1847 he became a Major and in 1851 he was the Reeve of Douro for three years. He also became a Justice of the Peace. During the years of 1828-1831 he worked for John Galt in the Canada Company. In his later years Samuel established an agriculture school for young men and boys interested in pioneer farming. Around the same time that Samuel moved to Douro his sisters Catharine Parr Traill and Susanna Moodie arrived in the area. His sister Agnes edited a book "Twenty-Seven Years in Canada West" which was based on Samuel's writings.(Taken from: "The Illustrated Historical Atlas of Peterborough County 1825-1875."Canada: The Peterborough Historical Atlas Foundation Inc., 1975.)H. Stickland was born in 1870 in Peterborough to Mr. and Mrs. Walter Strickland. He married a Miss Hall. He gained fame on his 5 hour and 15 minute swim from the Lakefield locks on the Trent Canal to the Peterborough Lift Locks in 1905.

Samuel Hughes

  • Person

Sir Samuel Hughes was born January 8, 1853 at Solina near Bowmanville, Canada West. He was educated at the Toronto Model and Normal School and also attend the University of Toronto. He received honour certificates in English, French, German and History. While he was still in his teens he took part in the second Fenian Raid and from this battle he received a medal. He had 3 brothers and 7 sisters. His father and one brother were school teachers and with their encouragement he became a teacher in Belleville, Lifford and Bowmanville. He also taught at the Old King's Grammar School in Toronto as English and History Master from 1875 to 1885. He was the author of a school geography and a County and Railway Map of Ontario. In 1872 he married his first wife, Caroline J. Preston, at Lifford, Ontario. She died a year later. In 1875 Sam married again. He married Mary E. Burk, daughter of Harvey W. Burk who was liberal M.P. of West Durham, Ontario. Samuel started the Millbrook lacrosse team. Throughout this time he participated in the militia and politics in which he had a long career. At age 32 he moved his family to Lindsay where he had bought the newspaper The Victoria Warder. He was publisher from 1885 to 1897. He was a Member of Parliament for Victoria North in 1892 and in 1899 went to the Boer War in South Africa from which he was dismissed for military indiscipline. In 1911 he won the militia portfolio of the Borden government. He foresaw the World War I and he helped Canada prepare for it by building armouries across Canada. He stepped up the training program for the Canadian Militia and he was able to place in the field four divisions, complete with artillery, and all details. In August 1915 he was knighted by King George V. After the Ross Rifle fiasco he was forced to leave the Borden government in 1919. He stayed in politics for the Victoria/Haliburton Region until his death on October 24, 1921 in Lindsay, Ontario. (Taken from: Capon, Alan R. His Faults Lie Gently. The Incredible Sam Hughes. Lindsay, Ontario: Floyd W. Hall, 1969.)

S. R. (Sandy) Gage

  • Person

S. R. Gage was educated at McGill University and the University of Glasgow. He is the author of several books including A Few Rustic Huts, which provides a history of ranger's cabins in Algonquin Park. His interest in the Canol project undertaken in the World War II era grew out of a canoe trip on the Natla and Keele rivers in 1981. He was also interested in the management of Ontario's provincial parks. Gage was also on the Rouge Valley Park Advisory Committee (Ontario).

Ruth Catherine Bellamy

  • Person
  • 1918-1979

Ruth Catherine Allen was born in 1918 in Cramahe Township, the daughter of Durwood and Beatrice Allen (nee Hennessey). The Durwood Allen family lived on a farm in the Castleton, Ontario area. Ruth attended Peterborough Normal School in 1938 attaining her Teachers Certificate. During the course of her teaching career she taught in Morganston, Frankford, Napanee and South Cramahe Public Schools.

Ruth and Kenneth married 30 June 1947 in Brighton, Ontario. They had two daughters, Mary Margaret and Kathryn Ann, and lived in the community of Salem. After Ruth’s death in 1979, Ken married Joyce Blakley. Joyce died in 1985 and Ken in 2007. (Taken from information supplied by the donor).

Rubidge family

  • Family

Captain Charles Rubidge, land agent and author, was born 20 April 1787 in the Parish of St. George-in-the-East, London, England. He was the son of Robert and Margaret Rubidge. In October 1796, at the young age of nine, Rubidge entered the Navy as a midshipman on the Arrow, Sloop of War. He served under Lord Nelson and Lord Cochrane and was honourably discharged in 1815, at the end of the War of 1812. In June 1819, Rubidge emigrated to Canada with his wife and three children (they later had three more children) and in May, 1820, became the second person to settle in Otonabee Township. He assisted in the settling of the Peter Robinson immigrants in 1825 and other immigrants in 1831 and 1839. In 1831 Rubidge was appointed Immigrant Agent at Peterborough by Lord Seaton, Governor-General of Canada. He was also the author of two books. The first was A Plain Statement of the Advantages Attending Emigration to Upper Canada (London, 1838) and the second An Autobiographical Sketch (Peterborough, 1870). Captain Charles Rubidge died 5 February 1873.

Roy Russell Merifield

  • Person

Roy Russell Merifield was born 11 June 1916. He attended McGill University in Montreal, Quebec and was a graduate of its' law school. He served as a senior officer with the Shawinigan Water and Power Company and in the Canadian Navy during World War II. He became the general supervisor of corporate trust at the Royal Trust Company in Montreal. In 1967 he joined the Victoria and Grey Trust Company in Toronto as its vice-president and general manager. In 1974, Mr. Merifield took on the additional position of corporate secretary for Victoria and Grey and in 1979 he was named general counsel of the company. He retired from Victoria and Grey in 1981 at which point he was commissioned to write "From County Trust to National Trust" by the Company. This took 7 years to write. He and his wife, Helen, divide their time between their home in Toronto and cottage on Lake Memphramagog, near Magog in Quebec.

Roy MacGregor

  • Person

Roy MacGregor is a journalist and author. He was born in Whitney, Ontario in 1948 and raised in Huntsville, Ontario. He was educated at Laurentian University and later acquired a degree in journalism from the University of Western Ontario. He has worked for several magazines and newspapers including MacLean's, Toronto Star, Globe and Mail, and the Ottawa Citizen. His more than 40 books include: Canoe Country: The Making of Canada, 2015; Wayne Gretzky's Ghost: And Other Tales from a Lifetime in Hockey, 2011; Northern Light: The Enduring Mystery of Tom Thomson and the Woman Who Loved Him, 2010; Canadians: A Portrait of a Country and Its People, 2007; The Dog and I: Confessions of a Best Friend, 2006; The Weekender: A Cottage Journal, 2005; A Life in the Bush: Lessons from my father, 1999; Home Team: Fathers, Sons and Hockey, 1996; Road Games: A Year in the Life of the NHL, 1993; and Home Game: Hockey and Life in Canada (co-authored with Ken Dryden), 1989. MacGregor is also the author of the Screech Owl mystery series for young readers. Roy MacGregor has been the recipient of many book and journalism awards. He was inducted into the Order of Canada in 2005, and received an honorary degree from Trent University in 2016.

Ross Munroe Matthews

  • Person

Ross Munroe Matthews (1909-1982) was born in Port Arthur, Ontario, as the youngest of six sons. He graduated in medicine in 1933 from the University of Toronto. He did his post-graduate training, from 1933 to 1937, at St. Michael's Hospital, St. George's Hospital for Child Study and the Department of Sick Children at the University of Toronto, Hospital of Sick Children and the Ontario Orthopaedic Hospital all of Toronto as well as the Children's Hospital of Boston. He practiced pediatrics in Hamilton and Port Arthur from 1938 to 1940; was a R.C.A.F. Medical Officer in Canada, England and Europe from 1940 to 1945; practiced Paediatrics at a Peterborough Clinic from 1945 to 1969; was staff physician at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto from 1970 to 1972 and Locum Tenens, International Grenfell Association in Happy Valley, Labrador from January to April, 1973. He retired from active practice in 1973. R.M. Matthews was active in educational and medical associations around Ontario. He sat as a member of the Peterborough Board of Education in 1949 and 1950. As well he sat as a member of the Juvenile and Family Court Committee in Peterborough from 1948 to 1961; as a member of the Board of Peterborough Foundation from 1962 to 1970; as a member of the Haliburton, Kawartha and Pine Ridge District Health Council from 1975 to 1979 and as a member of the Board of the United Way of Peterborough and District in 1978. He was also President of Medical Staff in Peterborough Civic Hospital in 1953; Chief of Staff at Peterborough Civic Hospital in 1959; President of the Peterborough County Medical Society, 1959; Chairman of the Section of Paediatrics of the Ontario Medical Association in 1961 and sat as a member of the Board of Directors, Ontario Medical Association, 1962-1968 at which time he also was chairman of the Board in 1964 and President in 1966. He was President of the Canadian Medical Association, 1969, and on the Board of Directors from 1965 to 1971. He sat on numerous other boards and committees. In 1977 he received an Honorary Doctor of Laws from Trent University. He was married and had 3 sons, 1 daughter, and 2 grandchildren as of 1980. In 1981 he produced "Oft in the Stilly Night" which was a "Recollection of family and friends". He wrote this "For the instruction, some day, of my children and my Aunt Elizabeth's grandchildren". (Taken from: Munro, R.M. "Oft in the Stilly Night.")

Ross Irwin

  • Person

Ross Irwin was born in the Village of Cambray, Victoria County, in 1921. In 1929 his family moved to the Village of Oakwood in the Township of Mariposa. He joined the Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers in 1942 and served in Italy and Northwest Europe. Following his discharge in 1946 he worked in Peterborough for a short time and then enrolled in the Ontario Agricultural College at Guelph in 1947. Upon graduation he received an appointment to the faculty of the College. Later he became a professor in the School of Engineering at the University of Guelph. Ross married Doreen Webster of Oakwood in 1949 and they have two children. (Taken from: Mariposa: The Banner Township. Lindsay, Ontario: Ross Irwin Enterprises, 1984.)

Rosemary McConkey

  • Person

Rosemary McConkey was educated at the University of Western Ontario, Ohio State University and the University of Chicago. She holds a Master of Science degree and has worked as a dietitian, nutritionist and health educator at such institutions as South Chicago Community Hospital, Mercy Hospital and Medical Center Chicago, Montreal General Hospital, St. Joseph's Hospital and Peterborough Civic Hospital in Peterborough Ontario. McConkey was also Assistant Professor in the Department of Preventative Medicine at Ohio State University. She has been active in many venues as a health and nutrition consultant and teacher including being Director of Research and Development at the International Heath Awareness Centre in Michigan. Her last position before retiring was as Chief Therapeutic Dietitian at Peterborough Civic Hospital.

Results 151 to 175 of 904