Showing 904 results

People, Organizations, and Families

Stephen Ogden Tiny Township Stop Dump Site 41

  • Corporate body

Over a 25-year period beginning in 1985, politicians, bureaucrats and experts worked together to establish a municipal waste landfill site on a section of farmland in the County of North Simcoe, Ontario. The proposed 50-acre site, located in Tiny Township approximately 40 kilometres northwest of Barrie, was met with wide opposition and a campaign known as “Stop Dump Site 41” was launched. Area resident Stephen Ogden, recognized as the leader of the campaign, represented the group opposing the location and attended approximately 180 environmental assessment hearings pertaining to the proposed site. The campaign reached a successful conclusion in 2010.

A few years precipitating the search for the new site, a private site known as the Pauze Dump, located in Tiny Township, was identified as a source of drinking water contamination in the area, the cause being associated with legal and illegal dumping of industrial waste. Six communities in the County of North Simcoe subsequently came together to form the North Simcoe Waste Management Association (NSWMA), with a goal of finding a new waste landfill site.

The efforts of the NSWMA resulted in the selection of the location known as Site 41 in the southern part of Tiny Township. In 1989, an application for this site was rejected after 69 days of hearings by the Environmental Assessment Board. The NSWMA challenged the decision through the Lieutenant Governor in Council; an “Order in Council” was subsequently issued, allowing the proponent an opportunity to produce more evidence. In 1996, the Joint Board, after 110 days of additional hearings, approved the site. One of the approval conditions was that a Community Monitoring Committee (CMC) was to be created to oversee the development and operation of the site. The design and operational plans were approved by the Ontario Ministry of the Environment (MOE) and a Certificate of Approval spelling out the rules of operation was issued. The County of Simcoe took over the responsibility for waste management for the entire County and this resulted in the elimination of the NSWMA. Through the actions of the CMC, the County and the MOE were obligated to respond to all concerns raised by citizens of the County.

On 31 October 2007, the County announced plans to open the new landfill site in 2009. Community resistance continued to build. First Nations opposed the site, along with many others including Maude Barlow, internationally known as an advocate of human right to water and also then national Chair of the Council of Canadians. First Nations, farmers, cottagers, and other citizens held protests opposite the proposed site and through a march to Queen’s Park and confrontations with police led to charges and arrests.

Under the weight of public pressure, the County of Simcoe passed a one-year moratorium in August 2009. A month later, the plan to build Site 41 was voted down by Simcoe County Council. In May 2010, the County asked the MOE to revoke the MOE Certificate of Approval and this request was granted. The County took action to ensure that the area known as Site 41 is never to be developed as a landfill or to have any associated use. The lands are now in private ownership and once again are being farmed.

Stephen A. Otto

  • Person

Stephen Anderson Otto was an advocate of heritage conservation in Ontario. His involvements in heritage conservation included initiating the Ontario Bicentennial celebrations, and directing the Ontario Heritage Foundation. He was also a member of the Toronto Historical Board, and head of the heritage-conservation programs run by the Ontario government (taken from Toronto: No Mean City, 3rd edition, by Eric Arthur, 1986). Otto died 22 April 2018 in Toronto, Ontario.

Steamships for the Lakefield and Young's Point Run

  • Corporate body

The Lintonia and the Empress were both steamships that plied the Trent-Severn waterway between Lakefield and Young's Point. The Lintonia was wrecked at Sturgeon Point. The Empress was captained by W.H. (Billy) Reynolds. (Taken from: 77-1013.)

Standen-McQueen family

  • Family

Sydney (Sid) Helmer Standen was born in 1905 in Minesing, Ontario, the son of Andrew Ronald and Ada Louisa Standen. In 1911, his family moved to Kindersley, Saskatchewan where Sid grew up. He later became a teacher and also served in World War II.

Euphemia (Effie) Young McQueen was born in 1903 in London, England, daughter of James and Margaret McQueen (nee Drysdale). In Effie’s first year, the McQueens moved to Scotland and then, in 1913, to Canada, where they settled in Yorkton, Saskatchewan. Effie became a teacher and appeared in theatrical performances and recitations.

Sid and Effie married in 1930 and settled in Hanley, Saskatchewan. They had four sons: Philip Andrew, Neil McQueen, Sydney Drysdale (Dale), and Eric James William; Philip died in 1955 at the age of 22 during a tactical flight training exercise near Chatham, New Brunswick. In 1942, Sid and Effie moved to Burnaby, British Columbia where they were to spend the remainder of their lives. After Effie’s death in 1965, Sid married Gladys Marshall; he died in 1975. (Taken from “Standens and McQueens: A Canadian Story of Migrant Families” by S. Dale Standen, 2014).

Stafford F. Kirkpatrick

  • Person

Stafford Frederick Kirkpatrick was born December 12, 1809, the seventh son of Alexander Kirkpatrick, in Coolmine, County Dublin, Ireland. He later emigrated to Canada and settled in Peterborough, Upper Canada, where he was a Barrister at Law and later became a Judge. He was also a militia officer. In 1835, Kirkpatrick married Henrietta Fisher, daughter of Alexander Fisher, and together they had six children. He died in 1858. (from: Edward Marion Chadwick. "Ontarian Families". New Jersey: Hunterdon House, 1894.)

St. Thomas the Apostle Anglican Church of Moose Factory, Ontario

  • Corporate body

The Church Missionary Society of the Church of England placed Reverend John Horden, the first Anglican priest in the region, at Moose Factory, formerly of the Diocese of Prince Rupert, on August 26, 1851. Over twenty years later, on December 15, 1872, he was consecrated the first Bishop of Moosonee. At this time Moose Factory became the episcopal seat of an immense diocese which covered a band of territory, two to three hundred miles wide, surrounding the the eastern, southern and western shores of Hudson Bay. St. Thomas Church was already in existence when Rev. Horden arrived in Moose Factory. The original church was built by Reverend George Barnley, of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, and it was replaced by a larger building in 1860, which was built by workmen of the Hudson's Bay Company. St. Thomas Anglican Church was the Pro-Cathedral of the Diocese of Moosonee from 1872 to 1903.

St. Regis mission

  • Corporate body

St. Regis mission was established by the Jesuits for the Iroquois in 1755 in the lower St. Lawrence Valley, Quebec. Today, St. Regis is a reserve mission of Valleyfield parish, located on the St. Regis Reserve, Valleyfield, Quebec.

St. John's Anglican Church

  • Corporate body

In 1827 the first Anglican church service was held in Peterborough by Reverend Samuel Armour. It took place in a log Schoolhouse located where Central Public School now stands. In 1835, the first Protestant Church in Peterborough began construction with the assistance of a Crown grant. In 1853, buttresses and pillars were added to the exterior and in 1876 a parish hall was added. In 1911, the congregation presented the church with a set of bells for the bell tower. In 1957 the building was remodeled and renovated, and a new chapel was added. (Taken from: "Peterborough :Land of Shining Water." Peterborough: Published by the City and County of Peterborough, 1967.)

St. Anne's Parish

  • Corporate body

St. Anne's Parish was established in 1956 at 859 Barnardo Avenue in Peterborough, Ontario. The Parish had the St. Anne's Catholic Women's League, sports activities such as hockey and softball leagues and the St. Anne's Boy Scout Association. They organized fun fairs and picnics. St. Anne's School was nearby for the parishioners to use.

St. Andrew's Church

  • Corporate body

St. Andrew's Church, originally a Presbyterian Congregation, was formally organized in Peterborough in 1833 by Reverend J. Morrice Roger of the Established Church of Scotland. The first place of worship was a rented building located on the north side of King Street, west of Aylmer Street. On May 30, 1835, St. Andrew's Church received a Crown grant which included the land on which the church now stands. In 1836, the first church building was built, made entirely of stone quarried from property owned by the church. By 1884, it was decided by the congregation that a new church building was necessary. The cornerstone was laid June 29, 1885, and on May 2, 1886, the new St. Andrew's Church was formally opened and dedicated. In 1924, St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church became St. Andrew's United Church.

Spencer J. Harrison

  • Person

Spencer J. Harrison was born in 1962. An artist who has lived and painted in Peterborough for several years, Harrison's work has been exhibited locally, nationally and internationally. Of special significance is his project "Would You Beat this Man?, or more affectionately, "The Fag Project"" which was shown in several cities across Canada and addresses the issue of fear and hatred of gay people. The project is known widely as "The Queer Project." Harrison is also an art instructor and a graduate of the Frost Centre, Trent University. Harrison was artist-in-residence at Trent University in 1994-1995.

Society of Camp Directors

  • Corporate body

The Society of Camp Directors was founded May 21, 1969, after a long gestation period, from about 1957, when the subject was first broached in the Ontario Camping Association. Members of the OCA who were camp directors were instrumental in the formation of the new society.

Snarr-Webster family

  • Family

Thomas Willington Snarr from Rawdon Township, Hastings County and Annie Eliza Webster of East Whitby Township, Ontario County were married in July 1879. Witnesses were Samuel Robert Webster and Isabella Jane Snarr.

Smith-Ennismore Historical Society

  • Corporate body

Smith-Ennismore Historical Society was formed in 1983 and incorporated in 1985. The Society actively publishes historical works on the local area and provides research assistance to genealogists and school children.

Smith Township Agricultural Society

  • Corporate body

The Agricultural Society was established January 6, 1855 in Smith Township, Peterborough County, Canada West, by a group of farmers from the township. One of the aims of the society was to buy in bulk, seeds and other essentials and make these items available to members whose fees were paid. Later, in the 1860's, Harvey, North Douro, and North Monaghan Townships were invited to join the society. At this point it became known as the Smith, Harvey, North Douro and North Monaghan Branch Agricultural Society. In the 1870's the name changed to the Smith, Ennismore and Lakefield Agricultural Society. The Society held yearly agricultural fairs and ploughing matches.

Smith Township

  • Corporate body

Smith Township, Peterborough County, Ontario, is bordered on its east, north and west sides by Chemong, Buckhorn, Deer and Clear Lakes, and the Otonobee River. At its south end is North Monaghan Township. It was originally part of Newcastle District, which was created in 1802. The survey of Smith Township was completed in 1818 by Samuel Wilmot and Richard Birdsall. In the same year, a number of colonists, who had set sail from Cumberland, England, found their way to the region with the intention of forming a settlement. The colonists came to the newly founded Smith Township by the way of Rice Lake and the Otonabee River, as there was no road, only unbroken forest. These hearty pioneers slowly settled the region, overcoming many obstacles and hardships along the way. In 1827, a large saw and grist mill was built by the government on the banks of the Otonabee River. This new mill superceded two smaller mills which had been previously established within the township. In 1832, 100 pounds was granted by the Upper Canada Legislature to improve the communication road, which was the principle road that passed through the township. Both of these improvements, along with steamship transportation on Chemong Lake, connecting Smith Township with Victoria county, in the 1840's, greatly increased the number of settlers into the region. The locations of villages in Smith Township were influenced almost entirely by the lumber trade. Bridgenorth, Young's Point and Lakefield were all saw mill settlements, and although Selwyn didn't have a mill, it was located on the road north to the timber limits and was an important commercial centre for the men in the lumber trade. The 1840 census indicates that the total population of Smith Township was 1,286 and that there were 204 households. By the 1861 census, the population had grown to 3,426.

Smith Branch Agricultural Society

  • Corporate body

The Smith Branch Agricultural Society held its first Annual agricultural show on October 6, 1855 which is considered the first fair in Bridgenorth.

Sir Robert Peel

  • Person

Sir Robert Peel was born February 5, 1788, the eldest son of (Sir) Robert Peel and Ellen Yates. In 1805, he entered Christ Church, Oxford, where he studied classics and mathematics. Upon completing his degree, his father bought him the seat of Cashel in Tipperary, and at the age of twenty-one, Sir Robert Peel entered the House of Commons. In 1810, Peel was made the Under-Secretary for War and Colonies, and in 1812, he accepted the post of chief secretary to Ireland, a post he held for six years. From 1818 to 1822, Peel remained in the House of Commons, but as a private member. In 1820, he married Julia Floyd, daughter of Sir John Floyd, and they had two daughters and five sons. In January, 1822, Peel rejoined Lord Liverpool's government until 1827, when Lord Liverpool died and Peel resigned from the House due to political differences with Liverpool's successor, Lord Canning. On August 8, 1828, Canning died and Sir Robert Peel ventured back into the political arena. One of Peel's most notable successes occurred in 1829, when three bills written by him were successfully passed into law. The bills dealt with the suppression of the Catholic Association, Catholic emancipation, and the regulation of franchise in Ireland. On May 3, 1830, upon the death of his father, Robert Peel succeeded to the baronetcy. In 1834, Peel was assigned the double office of First Lord of the Treasury and Chancellor of the Exchequer. He retired from office on June 29, 1846. Sir Robert Peel died on July 2, 1850 after a fall from his horse four days earlier. Peel's most notable achievements include the revision of the British penal laws, the creation of a sound financial system, the incorporation of free trade, and the establishment of a metropolitan police force. (Taken from: "Dictionary of National Biography." Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1959-1960.)

Sir Louis Hippolyte LaFontaine

  • Person

Sir Louis Hippolyte LaFontaine was born near Boucherville, Chambly county, Lower Canada, on October 4, 1807, the third son of Antoine Menard dit Lafontaine, a farmer; and the grandson of Antoine Menard LaFontaine, a member of the Legislative Assembly of Lower Canada from 1796 to 1804. He was educated at the College of Montreal, was called to the Bar of Lower Canada, and practiced law in Montreal. From 1830 to 1837 he was a member of the Legislative Assembly of Lower Canada for Terrebonne; and he was a supporter of Louis Joseph Papineau. He opposed the appeal to arms by the Patriotes in 1837; but he deemed it wise to leave Canada, and on his return to Canada in 1838 was arrested. He was released, however, without trial; and when the union of 1841 was brought about, he became the leader of the French Canadian Reformers. He was defeated in the election of 1841 in Terrebonne, but found a seat, through the offices of Robert Baldwin, in the fourth riding of York, Upper Canada. He was able to sit continuously in the Assembly until 1851, first for the fourth riding of York, second for Terrebonne, and lastly for the City of Montreal. In 1848 he became the Prime Minister of the Province of Canada until 1851 when he resigned from the government and withdrew from public life. In 1853 he was appointed Chief Justice of Lower Canada and he occupied this position until his death on February 26, 1864. (taken from "The Macmillan Dictionary of Canadian Biography." 4th ed. Toronto: Macmillan of Canada, 1978.)

Sir Henry Earle

  • Person

Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Henry Earle was born at Brook Farm, Lancashire, England, August 15, 1854, the eldest son of the second Baronet of Allerton Tower and Emily Fletcher. He was educated at Eton; Trinity College, Oxford; and received an Honours M.A. from Cambridge. He joined the British Military, 3rd Battalion, in 1869, and was made a companion of the Distinguished Service Order in 1887. Earle served in the Jowaki Campaign, 1877; the Afgan War, 1878-1880; the Egyptian War, 1882; the Burmese Expedition, 1886-1887; the Ruby Mine Column, 1886; the Mainloung Expedition; and with the Yorkshire L.I. in the Frontier Campaign in Tirah, where he became severely wounded, 1899-1900. In 1900 he succeeded his father and became the 3rd Baronet of Allerton Tower. He continued to serve in the army from 1914 to 1916. In 1891 he married Evelyn Grace Boileau. He died July 16, 1939. (taken from "Who Was Who, 1929-1940". London: Adam and Charles Black, 1941.)

Sidney Smith

  • Person

Sidney Smith was born October 16, 1823 at Port Hope, Upper Canada, to John David Smith and Augusta Louisa Smith. John David Smith sat in the House of Assembly of Upper Canada of Durham from 1828 to 1830. Sidney Smith was the grandson of Elias Smith. Elias was a successful merchant and trader, who left New York to settle in Upper Canada and who founded Port Hope in 1792. Sidney Smith studied law in the office of his brother, John Shuter Smith, and was admitted to the bar in 1844. Smith married Mary Ann Bennett of Cobourg, Upper Canada, on January 21, 1845. He continued to practice law throughout his life, first in Cobourg and later acted as solicitor for the Commercial Bank of the Midland District, the Bank of Montreal, the Midland Railway of Canada, the town of Cobourg, and then in Peterborough. In 1853 he was elected a municipal councilor for both Cobourg and the township of Hamilton, and was the warden for Northumberland and Durham. In 1854, Smith was elected as a Reformer to the Legislative Assembly for Northumberland West and was re-elected in 1857. From February 2, 1858 until the government's defeat on the Militia Bill in May 1862, Smith was the postmaster general in the cabinet of John A. Macdonald and George-Etienne Cartier and was also a member of the Board of Railway Commissioners. Also in 1858, Smith introduced the Upper Canada Jurors' Act and carried it through the assembly. Smith's most notable accomplishment while in office occurred in 1859 when he concluded arrangements with the United States, Britain, France, Belgium, and Prussia for mail services to Canada and the United States. By 1860, he gained abolition of Sunday labour in the Post Offices of Canada West. Smith was defeated in the general election of 1861 by James Cockburn but he was elected to the Legislative Council for Trent in the same year and was able to retain his portfolio of postmaster general. In 1863, he resigned his seat in the Upper House, sought election to the assembly of the constituency of Victoria, was defeated and resigned from politics permanently. He returned to full-time law practice in Peterborough and also served in the militia as captain of the Peterborough Infantry Company No. 2. In 1866 he was appointed inspector of registry offices for Canada West, and continued in that position for the province of Ontario after Confederation. Sidney Smith died September 27, 1889 in Cobourg, Ontario.

Sidney Bellingham

  • Person

Sydney Bellingham was born in 1808 in Castlebellingham Ireland and briefly lived in Douro Township, Upper Canada. In the summer of 1824, Bellingham arrived at the homestead of Thomas and Frances Stewart. Thomas was his uncle; the brother of Sydney's mother Elizabeth Jane (or Jane Elizabeth) Stewart Bellingham. Sydney remained in Douro as a farm hand until 1827. He then obtained employment in Montreal, moved there and spent the majority of his life there until 1878. He was a merchant and politician in Quebec. He died in 1900 back in Castlebellingham which he had inherited.

Shirley Quan

  • Person

Shirley Quan worked for the Department of Native Affairs as a student volunteer during the summer of 1962. She was sent to Baker Lake in the Northwest Territories. She completed an arctic wild flower project while she was there.

Shining Waters Presbyterial United Church Women

  • Corporate body

Shining Waters Presbyterial UCW (United Church Women) is a Peterborough, Ontario, organization. Prior to 2013, it was known as Peterborough UCW Presbyterial. Shining Waters Presbyterial UCW is part of a larger organization, United Church Women, formally established in 1962 through the amalgamation of two United Church women’s groups, the Woman’s Association and the Woman’s Missionary Society. As stated in Voices of United Church Women, 1962-2002, the UCW’s purpose is “to unite the women of the congregation for the total mission of the church and to provide a medium through which we may express our loyalty and devotion to Jesus Christ in Christian witness, study, fellowship and service.” (p.v)

Results 126 to 150 of 904