Showing 369 results

People, organizations, and families
Masonic Hall
Corporate body

The Royal Arthur Lodge (No. 523) is one of three Masonic Lodges in Peterborough, Ontario.

Mather Funeral Home
Corporate body

The Mather Funeral Home, Keene, Ontario, was established in the late nineteenth century. It developed from the carriage making business of W.T. Mather (1853-1913).

Corporate body

The Community Counselling & Resource Centre is a non-profit community-based agency that services the City and County of Peterborough, Ontario. It offers six services: Community Counselling, Community Service Order Program, Credit Counselling Services, Housing Resource Centre, Employee Assistance Program, and Public Education and Advocacy. Its founding agencies were created in 1956 when the Catholic Social Service Bureau was established and in 1971 when Volunteers and Information Peterborough was formed. (Information taken from the CCRC web site, 31 May 2010).

Cooper & Beatty, Limited
Corporate body

Cooper & Beatty, Limited was founded in 1921 by E. Cooper, L. Beatty and J.L. Pepper using the name Trade Composition Company. When Pepper left in 1926 the company was renamed to Cooper & Beatty. Until the Second World War it was essentially a trade typesetting company. In 1950 W.E. "Jack" Trevett acquired the company. Trevett shifted the focus to graphic design, for which Cooper & Beatty became known as one of the leading companies in the field. In 1964 the Trent University crest, as well as Trent's stationary and publications, were designed by Cooper & Beatty's designer, A. Crawford. In 1986 the company was sold to Jannock Corporation and although greatly reduced in size today, continues to operate under the name of Cooper & Beatty Services Ltd.

Corporate body

The Council of Ontario Universities was formed December 3, 1962 with the original name of the "Committee of Presidents of Provincially Assisted Universities and Colleges of Ontario". A formal constitution was first adopted December 9, 1966 under the name of "Committee of President of Universities of Ontario/Comite des Presidents d'Universite de l'Ontario". The constitution was amended on January 18, 1968; April 26, 1968; March 13, 1970 and April 16, 1971 at which point the name of the governing body was changed to the Council of Ontario Universities/Conseil des Universites de l'Ontario (effective May 1, 1971). The objectives of the Council are to promote cooperation among the provincially assisted universities of Ontario, and between them and the Government of the Province to work for the improvement of higher education for the people of Ontario. The people who are eligible to sit on the Council or belong to the membership are executive heads of provincially assisted universities in Ontario which grant university degrees (one colleague, elected to membership by the senior academic body of each institution). Other organizations and associations may be affliated with the council. The Council meets a minimum of twice a year and any committees formed through the Council meet when necessary. (Taken from: "Council of Ontario Universities Review 1975-76 to 1977-78 An Uncertain Future." Toronto.)

Corporate body

The Cramahe and Haldimand Female Tract Society was a religious tract society situated in the Townships of Cramahe and Haldimand of Upper Canada.

Cramahe Township
Corporate body

Cramahe Township, located in the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham, is bounded on the north by Percy Township, on the south by Lake Ontario, on the east by Brighton Township, and on the west by Halimand Township. Joseph Keeler was the first settler to the Cramahe Township region, coming from Rutland, Vermont, about 1789. In 1793, Keeler brought 40 settlers to the area and built a saw mill, a grist mill, a carding and woolen mill, an oil well and a distillery, all located near the mouth of Keeler's Creek, which was later to become Port Colborne. Joseph Keeler's son, Jospeh A. Keeler was the founder of the village of Colborne, which was later incorporated in 1859. Joseph A. was a merchant, postmaster and Justice of the Peace. Overall, like his father, Joseph A. was an extremely important member of the growing community. In 1815, the post office was established in Colborne. Lumber and grain were the chief exports of Cramahe Township. Two wharves, located at Port Colborne and Port Cramahe, provided links for the transportion of goods to the United States. By 1861, the population had grown to 3,041 made up largely of Native Peoples. The remainder of the population were settlers of English, Irish, Scottish, and American origin.

Meta Incognita
Corporate body

Meta Incognita was a project initiated to bring new light to the Arctic voyages of Martin Frobisher and to show the significance of these voyages for the histories of North America and Britain. With the guidance of the Meta Incognita Project Steering Committee, an Archival Research Task Force (ARTAF) researched archival documents in Britain and Europe and compiled their research into a two volume publication Meta Incognita: A Discourse of Discovery: Martin Frobisher's Arctic Expeditions, 1576-1578. The publication was edited by the chair of the Steering Committee, Professor Thomas H.B. Symons, and was published in 1999. (Taken from Meta Incognita: A Discourse of Discovery: Martin Frobisher's Arctic Expeditions, 1576-1578. Vol. 1. Canadian Museum of Civilization, 1999).

Corporate body

The Meteorological Service of Canada, established in 1871, was a national program for the official recording and observation of climate in Canada. The program was renamed the Atmospheric Environment Service in 1970. The service provides historical, current and predictive meteorological data, and sea and state ice information for all areas of Canada and adjacent waters to various departments of the government, primarily Transport and National Defence. It also provides weather forecasting to the general public.

Corporate body

The Millbrook and Cavan Historical Society was established November 24, 1978. The reason for forming the Historical Society was to try and save the old mill for which Millbrook was named after. The society helped mark the 100th birthday of Millbrook village with a historical display at the Masonic Lodge. They produced a four-page tabloid entitled "Millbrook Messenger" after an early newspaper. The tabloid contained articles of historical interest with photographs of the railway station, the Deyell monument, the fire of 1960 and three of the several mills in the Village. The Society helped organize Historical House tours in the township. In 1985 the Millbrook and Cavan Historical Society received a Heritage Award. In 1990 the Society produced and published "This Green and Pleasant Land: Chronicles of Cavan Township". Not only does the Historical Society provide a source of fundraising for historical projects it also acquires, preserves and makes available for research historical items and artifacts from quilts to furniture and from wills, deeds, debentures to marriage and birth certificates, photographs, diaries and other records. (Taken from: This Green and Pleasant Land: Chronicles of Cavan Township. The Millbrook and Cavan Historical Society, 1990.)

Millbrook and Cavan Township
Corporate body

The Township of Cavan, located in the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham (previously Durham County), was first surveyed in 1817 by Samuel G. Wilmot (who also surveyed North Monaghan and Smith Townships). The land which was to become Cavan Township was virgin forest, untouched by Europeans, and no longer considered Indigenous territory. Wilmot was assisted by John Deyell, who, with James Deyell were two of the first settlers in Cavan Township. They established a mill on a brook in 1824, and as a result, were the founders of the village of Millbrook. John Deyell was also responsible for the name of the township, Cavan County, being a neighbour of Monaghan County, the County in Ireland from whence he came. Cavan Township was settled quite quickly. The same year it was surveyed, 115 lots were ticketed. By the next year, 1818, a further 160 lots were ticketed. The total population of the township in 1819 was 244. Many of the pioneer settlers of the new township were either military men who were given land grants for their services in the War of 1812, or Irish emigrants, many who were from County Cavan in Ireland. In 1825, the population reached 936; ten years later, in 1835, the population had more than doubled to 2,575. Cavan continued grow, and its population peaked in 1861, at 4,901.

Corporate body

Millbrook is situated in Cavan Township in East Durham County of Ontario. The first settler was John Deyell who established a mill on a brook and hence the name of the Village; Millbrook. (Taken from: Brief History of Cavan Township and Millbrook Village from the year 1816 to 1837. Millbrook: Mirror Reporter Print, 1937.)

Corporate body

Millbrook is situated in Cavan Township in East Durham County of Ontario. The first settler was John Deyell who established a mill on a brook and hence the name of the Village: Millbrook. (Taken from: Brief History of Cavan Township and Millbrook Village from the year 1816 to 1837. Millbrook: Mirror Reporter Print, 1937.)

Corporate body

The Labour-Progressive Party (LPP) was representative of the working classes in Canada. The Labour Party based its ideas on the Trade and Labour Congress which was formed in 1900. Sub-groups such as the National Federation of Labour Youth were organized to help different age groups of the working class. During the war with Korea, Monica Felton, a LLP supporter travelled to Korea to see first hand the war atrocities which had been committed against the people of Korea. When she returned to Canada she issued a booklet detailing her trip and what she saw. The LLP supported peace so that Canadians could acquire job security and raise their standard of living. The Party advocated a free and independent Canada from American domination. It was dedicated to peace and friendship with all the world where the democratic will of the people decided their destiny. It offered freedom from fear of unemployment in which the right to work was guaranteed. It wanted to offer a secure homeland for all from birth to ripe old age.

Corporate body

The National and Provincial Parks Association of Canada (NPPAC) was founded in 1963 and is dedicated to preserving Canada's natural heritage. It is an educational non-profit organization and provides the public with information regarding the status of Canada's parks. It is specifically involved with park and wildland protection. In 1986, NPPAC underwent a name change and became the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society (CPAWS).

Lakefield Heritage Research
Corporate body

Lakefield Heritage became Lakefield Heritage Research in 1990. The research organization is based out of Lakefield, Ontario. Gordon Young, the editor at Lakefield Heritage Research, has contributed a great deal to this collection. Other researchers in this organization include Steve McCracken and Kevin McCarthy.

Lakeland Kennels
Corporate body

Lakeland Kennels was located on Rice Lake in Bewdley, Ontario, and was under the proprietorship of H.J. Goss and Mrs. Goss.

Moose Factory Mission Church
Corporate body

In 1840, three Wesleyan Methodist Missionaries were sent from England, to Moose Factory, to bring the Gospel to the Indians of the region. Reverend George Barnley, one of the three missionaries, made the fort at Moose Factory the centre of his eight year ministry, where he built St. Thomas Church (later St. Thomas Anglican Church). When this mission was closed by the Methodists in 1848, it was vacant for several years before the Church Missionary Society of the Church of England sent Reverend John Horden to Moose Factory in 1851. He later became the first Bishop of the diocese of Moosonee in 1872. He died in Moosonee in 1893.

Corporate body

The Friendship Centre movement grew from the local level initiatives of groups and individuals who helped natives cope with life in urban centres from the 1950's. Formal funding for the Centres at the Federal level of the Secretary of State began in 1972 with the Migrating Native People's program. The name of the program was changed to the Native Friendship Centre Program in 1982. The National Association of Friendship Centres itself was established in 1972. It is a non-political, non-profit organization. It has a four-person executive committee elected each year at the Annual General Meeting attended by delegates from the provincial-territorial associations and individual friendship centres. The NAFC coordinates funding and acts as central information liason between the Secretary of State and other government bodies and the provincial-territorial associations.

Moscrip, Allan & Company
Corporate body

Moscrip, Allan & Company sold hardware, machinery, and farm equipment to several businesses and individuals in the Peterborough County and United Counties of Northumberland and Durham area during the years 1853-1867.

Mount St. Joseph
Corporate body

The Sisters of St. Joseph in Peterborough were formed from various congregations in Ontario during the year of 1890. They had been requested to leave their congregations, by Bishop R.A. O'Connor, to fill a need in services which were not being provided in Peterborough such as the care of the sick. When the Sisters arrived in Peterborough they were to work at the newly opened St. Joseph's Hospital. The Sisters helped with the care of the elderly with a senior's home called Marycrest. They established an orphanage called St. Vincent's Orphanage and which operated from 1909 to 1956. For more information on the history of Mount St. Joseph see As the Tree Grows: Celebrating 100 years of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peterborough, 1890-1990 (Lindsay, Ontario: John Deyell Company Limited, 1993).

Neathern Trust
Corporate body

The Neathern Trust was established by Dr. Mary Louise Northway. In 1960 Mary Northway decided to give some thought and study the possibility of establishing a charitable trust and hence a draft trust was prepared. The reasoning behind the draft was for Mary to decide whether a Trust was wise idea, or not, to commit her capital. The Neathern Trust was established on an informal basis with J.R.M. Wilson, John Hodgson and Joan Hodgson as Trustees and Jean B. Quinn as the secretary-treasurer. The Trustees met with Mary to select charitable purposes that they thought were worthy of support. Mary then put sufficient funds into a bank account and arrangements for payment were made by Jean Quinn. In 1963 Mary Northway decided to go ahead with the Trust Proper and the Trust Instrument was revised. Howard Kelley of the National Trust was brought in as a Trustee with the intention to use the National Trust as an agent for the Trustees. The draft Trust Instrument was approved by the Department of National Revenue in June, 1964 and in July, 1964 the Trust Instrument was executed with the first funds being transferred to the Trust by Mary Northway. At this point the Trustees invited Joan W. Hodgson, Flora Morrison, Dr. W.E. Blatz, Dr. J.A. Ebbs and D. Oucherlony as the advisory committee. Jean Quinn remained as secretary. The decision to meet quarterly before the advisory committee met was made. The fund itself was to have $20 000.00 in Canada Bonds and $13 430.00 in cash from Mary Northway as a capital contribution and not as income of the Trust. Part of the monies which Mary Northway donated to the Neathern Trust were invested into securities. Some of the projects which the Neathern Trust undertook were: building two barbeques at the Mill of Kintail, counselling education, Cardiology Department of Sick Children's Hospital, Pre-School Parent Centre in Toronto, Harbour Island Nursery Supervisor's Salary, support of a Thailand student, Huntsville Nature Club Library and many, many more.

New Democratic Party
Corporate body

Born out of the Canadian Commonwealth Federation (1932-1960) the New Democratic Party originated in 1961. It is a party which aims to represent the working class and unions of Canada in politics. It is a socialist party advocating the democratic left instead of right wing politics.