Showing 904 results

People, Organizations, and Families

Ernest Thompson Seton

  • Person

Ernest Thompson Seton was born August 14, 1860 and changed his name from Ernest Evan Thompson in 1898. He was born in England and came to the United States in 1898. He died October 23, 1946 in Santa Fe, New Mexico is buried at Seton Village, Santa Fe. He is best known as the founder of the Boy Scouts of America. He studied art in Toronto, New York, London and Paris. He worked as an illustrator for several publishers and as a naturalist for the Government of Manitoba. He published his first children's book "Wild Animals I have Known" in 1898. He published a large number of children's and nature books as well as numerous articles. (Taken from: "Contemporary Authors." Hal May, ed. 1983.)

William Henry Seward

  • Person

William Henry Seward was born in May 1801 in Florida, New York. His father was Doctor Samuel S. Seward, a medical doctor and merchant. His mother was of Irish descent. William entered Union in 1816 after preparation at Farmer's Hall academy, Goshen, New York, and graduated in 1820. He read law with John Anthon in New York City, and with John Duer and Ogden Hoffman in Goshen, and was admitted to the bar at Utica in 1822. Seward then settled in Auburn, New York in January 1823 as the partner of Elijah Miller, the first Judge of Cayuga county. In 1824 he married Elijah Miller's daughter Frances Adeline. Throughout the late 1820's and 1830's Seward became involved in politics. The Whig party nominated him for governor in 1834, but Seward was defeated in the election by William L. Marcy. He was again nominated for governor in 1838 and won the election by a majority of 10,421. His liberal and democratic ideals caused much dissention within the Whig party, but he was once again re-elected in 1840 with a rather diminished majority. In February 1849, Seward was elected U.S senator and became known as the foremost opponent of slavery in the Whig party. In 1855, he was re-elected to the senate and again spent much of his time fighting slavery. In 1860, he was a candidate for the Republican presidential nomination but he lost the nomination to Abraham Lincoln. Seward supported Lincoln's campaign, and in turn, after being elected President, Lincoln appointed Seward Secretary of State. After eight years of tenure, he retired from office in March 1869. In 1870 Seward embarked on a journey around the world and when he returned home, he dedicated his time to the writing of a narrative on his travels, and after its completion, he began a history of his life and times. Unfortunately, the autobiography was incomplete at the time of his death on October 10, 1872.

Seymour Township

  • Corporate body

Seymour Township, located in the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham (east portion of Northumberland), is bounded on the north by Belmont Township, Peterborough County, on the south by Brighton and Murray Townships, on the east by Rawdon Township, Hastings County, and on the west by Percy and Asphodel Townships, Peterborough County. Seymour Township was partially surveyed in 1819 by Brown, and the survey was completed in 1833, by Major Campbell. The township is traversed by two rivers, the Trent and the Crow, both of which provided excellent sources of water power throughout the township. The population of Seymour was 2,117 in 1850, and had more than doubled by 1871 to 4,289. Native Indians accounted for approximately two thirds of the population, while settlers of English, Irish and Scottish origin comprised the remaining portion. Most of the very early settlers in the region were half-pay military and naval officers. Major Campbell, is the man for whom the town of Campbellford is named. Campbellford was incorporated in 1876. Due to the water power created by the Trent River, the town of Campbellford quickly became a manufacturing centre with several grist mills, saw mills and woolen mills. The land of Seymour Township was extremely fertile, and lent itself well to farming and agricultural enterprise of the early settlers. Today, Seymour Township still remains largely an agricultural region in Northumberland County.

Shakespeare Club

  • Corporate body

The Shakespeare Club, Peterborough's oldest ladies' club, was founded by Dr. Jessie Birnie in approximately 1912. The club did not meet during World War I but has met continuously since 1918. For the most part the club studied and produced plays written by Shakespeare. Studies by the club have included queens of history, great rivers, famous women of history, political studies, world religions, famous authors, poets, playwrights, composers, artists as well as countries and ancient civilizations of the world including studies of these civilizations' arts and literature. Meetings were usually held in members homes with a paper being read about some aspect of what was currently being studied. Food befitting the topic of the occasion was usually supplied for after the meeting. Open meetings were popular as members were able to bring their husbands. The structure of the Club has changed over the years as parliamentary procedure gave way after, World War II, to peculiar Shakespearean rules. Membership elections were eliminated and other methods of selecting the executive were arranged over the years. The Club, with the advent of the Stratford festival, studied pieces being performed for particular seasons and started taking trips to Stratford, Ontario, Niagara-on-the-Lake and the National Arts Centre in Ottawa.

John E. Proctor

  • Person

John Edward Proctor was a resident of Brighton, Ontario involved in the lumbering trade in 1869. He was responsible for building and equipping the large schooner "E.R.C. Proctor" and the "Minnie Proctor". J.E. also had a grain elevator and dock which were in use until 1895. He also operated sawmills. (Taken from: "Centennial of the Incorporation of the Village of Brighton, 1859-1959." Brighton: Centennial Book Committee, 1959.)

Progressive Conservative Association of Ontario

  • Corporate body

The Progressive Conservative Association of Ontario was developed to provide a support network for Progressive Conservative MP's and candidates in Ontario ridings. Each riding has its own association to address concerns and draft policies that can be presented by MP's in the government.

Progressive Conservative Party of Canada

  • Corporate body

The root of the modern day Progressive Conservative Party of Canada is found in the 1854 Liberal Conservative Coalition Government of the Province of Canada which was headed by Sir John A. Macdonald. Between 1873 and 1878, the Liberal Conservative Party dropped the Liberal label in favour of the title Conservative Party which was in keeping with the flavour of Macdonald's National Policy and pro-British election platform. From 1917 to 1920 the party was known as the Union Party. The name changed again to the National Liberal and Conservative Party from 1920 to 1922. It then reverted back to the original name of Liberal Conservative Party until 1938 when it became the National Conservative Party. The name of the party changed once again in 1942 with the election of former Progressive Party member and Manitoba Premier, John Bracken, to the Conservative Party leadership. The name became the Progressive Conservative Party, as it is known today. The ideologies of the Conservative Party have remained fundamentally the same since the inception of the party with some variations over the years. The party is tied, albeit loosely, to the British Conservative Party, and in turn, to the ideals of toryism (collectivism and privilege as the salient features of social and political life), but the Canadian Conservatives have also supported business liberalism. Business liberalism (ie. free enterprise) in combination with toryism are two sets of ideas which are not readily reconciled, therefore, the Conservative Party, regardless of title, has constantly been shifting, since its inception, to keep these ideals in balance with public and party opinion, and has not always been successful. Since 1935, the success of the federal Liberal Party has heavily outweighed the success of the Progressive Conservative Party. Some of the more notable Conservative Party leaders include Sir John A. Macdonald, R.B. Bennett, John Diefenbaker, and Brian Mulroney. (information taken from: "The Canadian Encyclopedia", second edition, 1988, and "Politcal Parties and Ideologies in Canada" by W. Christian and C. Campbell, 1983).

Puget Sound Agricultural Society

  • Corporate body

The original Pugets Sound Agricultural Company came into being in 1839 as a subsidiary branch of the Hudson'sBay Company in response to the intended private Oregon Beef andTallow Company. It functioned primarily in the Cow lits Valley and the Puget Sound area to the north of the Columbia River. Its purpose was partly to victual the fur trade establishments and also the nascent and burgeoning communities of the region. Its initial deed of settlement was dated December 23, 1840 and was first printed in 1912.

Meeting of the Delegates from the several Presbyterian

  • Corporate body

This broadside was developed to address the resolutions that were developing between the Church of Scotland and the Church of England around the time these two countries were uniting. It is addressed to the King of England regarding the religious rights of the people of Canada within the Church of Scotland.

S.C. Shaw

  • Person

S.C. Shaw was an artist who painted in the Peterborough region in the early 1940's.

Jean Shearman

  • Person

Jean Shearman (1925-2005) was born in Montreal. She was a great great granddaughter of Thomas Alexander Stewart and Frances Browne Stewart, and great granddaughter of their son, William Stewart and his wife, Louisa McNabb. She spent much of her life transcribing the Frances Stewart letters and researching the genealogy of the Stewart family and families with whom the Stewarts had some relationship. Ms. Shearman wrote A Sense of Continuity: The Stewarts of Douro along with her sister, Elizabeth Shearman Hall. She died in Toronto in 2005.

Shearman Family

  • Family

Jean Shearman (1925-2005) and Elizabeth Shearman Hall (1920-2015) were the great-great-granddaughters of Frances Browne Stewart (1794-1872) and Thomas Alexander Stewart (1786-1847), who immigrated from Ireland to Douro Township in 1822. They were sisters of Rev. John Shearman. Their grandmother, Anna Maria Stewart Williams, was the granddaughter of Thomas Alexander Stewart and Frances Browne Stewart, and the daughter of William Stewart. Jean Shearman was born 28 August 1925 and lived in Toronto, Ontario; she died in 2005. Elizabeth Shearman Hall was born 7 March 1920; she died in 2015. The sisters dedicated much of their lives to transcribing the Frances Stewart letters and creating a biographic reference guide to them and all associated families.

Sarsfield Sheehy

  • Person

Sarsfield Sheehy was a student of the Peterborough Collegiate Institute in 1909.

Townships of Sherborne and McClintock

  • Corporate body

The Townships of Sherborne and McClintock are located in the north-west corner of Haliburton County. They form part of the United Municipalities of Sherborne, McClintock and Livingstone which was created in 1979 and it has a population of approximately 500 people. Sherborne was the first of the Townships surveyed in 1862. It was named after the English town of Sherborne. McClintock was surveyed in 1876 and it was named after Sir Francis Leopold McClintock, the artic explorer. (Taken from: Mika, Nick and Helma. "Places of Ontario, Part III, N-Z." Belleville: Mika Publishing Co., 1983.)

Sherin family

  • Family

Henry Sherin and Elizabeth Moulds were married May 1, 1814 in Ireland and emigrated to Canada, in 1822, settling near Cobourg, Upper Canada. Their son, John C. Sherin, born in 1827, moved from the Cobourg region to Lakefield in 1854. He opened the first general store in the area in 1855, J.C. Sherin and Son. In 1861, John C. was made Justice of the Peace for Douro Township. He was married to Elizabeth Fee, and later to Mrs. Schofield. In 1881, John C. sold the family store to the firm of the Madill Brothers, but bought it back in 1885 and moved into the dry goods trade. John C. died May 24, 1901. J. Henry Sherin, son of John C. Sherin and Elizabeth Fee, was born in 1867 and educated at Pickering College. J. Henry (Harry) continued to operate the family store for 35 years after his father's death. He was also Lakefield's C.P.R. agent for 48 years. J. Henry Sherin was married to Mary Mabelle Rathbone in October, 1902. Together they had four sons, Playter, George, John, and Harry. J. Henry died in December 1952, at the age of 85. His son Harry attended the Ontario Agricultural College in Guelph, Ontario, and when he returned to Lakefield in 1946, he opened the Sherindale Hatchery, which he operated until 1964. In 1963 he married Mrs. Gretchen Kraus of Lakewood, Ohio and they had one son, Timothy Sherin. Harry's brother Playter Sherin also had a son, Dr. John P. Sherin, who resided in Lakefield after attending the University of Toronto Medical School. His medical office was located on the site of his great grandfather's first store.

Nancy Sherouse

  • Person

Nancy Sherouse (1929-1999) was the daughter of Harry and Vivien Ratcliffe of Toronto. Sherouse joined Trent University in 1969 as assistant to Traill College's first principal. Two years later, she became principal and held that position until 1982 when she became full time director of staff relations (later renamed human resources). After her retirement in 1992, Sherouse served as Chair on the Board of Governors at Five Counties Children's Centre in Peterborough. She received an eminent service award from Trent University in 1992.

Munroe Scott

  • Person

Munroe Scott was born in Owen Sound, Ontario, in 1927. He studied English and History at Queen's University, and received a M.A. in Speech and Drama at Cornell University in 1950. He was well known as a documentary film writer and a drama writer for television and film, and wrote and directed several television documentaries. Scott also wrote and directed episodes for several CBC series including "The Tenth Decade", "Inquiry", and others. Scott won the 1974 ACTRA radio award for the Best Writer in Dramatic Mode, and was a finalist in the television award for the Best Writer in the Documentary Mode. He wrote the script for the "Light and Sound Show" that took place on Parliament Hill, Ottawa, in 1984.

Scott was also an accomplished playwright. His first stage play, Wu-Feng, was produced by Toronto Arts Productions in 1974. He also wrote a biography of Dr. Robert McClure, a surgeon and United Church of Canada lay moderator. Munroe Scott died in Lindsay, Ontario, 15 September 2019.

Katherine E. Wallis

  • Person

Katherine E. Wallis was born in 1860 in Peterborough, Ontario. She studied art as a copyist at the National Gallery in Edinburgh, Scotland and later at the Royal College of Art in London, England. In London she discovered sculpting as her medium of expression and won the College's bronze medal and the Modellers' Free Scholarship for her work. After two years of study in London, she went to Paris to study under noted sculptor Oscar Waldmann and was soon invited to exhibit at the Exposition Universelle where she won honourable mention. In subsequent years, she exhibited frequently in the Spring Salon of the Artists Francais and later in the Societe Nationale des Beaux Arts, as well as at numerous exhibits in London and elsewhere in the British Isles. Katherine E. Wallis' career was interrupted by World War I while she served as a nurse in the Canadian Hospital in Paris, France. For her services she was decorated by the French and British governments. At the end of the war, Miss Wallis spent several years in Canada exhibiting her work and visiting her sister in Peterborough, Ontario. Later she returned to Paris, and in 1929, she received her highest recognition as an artist when she was the first Canadian to be elected Societaire of the Societe Nationale des Beaux Arts for her sculpture titled "La Lutte pour la Vie." She was forced to flee from France at the beginning of World War II and took up residence in Santa Cruz, California, where she lived until her death, 14 December 1957. Examples of the photographs are reproduced here.

Wallis family

  • Family

(Biographical information copied from Trent University Archives newsletter "Archives News", Issue Number 48, January 2014: "The Wallis Family" by Janice Millard).

"The link between the two [Wallis family and Forbes family] is Louisa Forbes who became Mrs. James Wallis. Louisa was the mother of well-known Peterborough-born artist and sculptor Katherine Wallis and Louisa’s father was Capt. Robert Miller/Millar Forbes.

Capt. Robert Miller Forbes had a distinguished career in the British Navy. It was, however, marred by an incident in 1798. Robert caused his ship commander, Capt. Lord Henry Paulet, later Earl St. Vincent, to be court martialled. Paulet apparently struck the then Lieutenant Forbes while Forbes was on duty on their ship – the Thalia. Paulet lost the case - but soon after he was given clemency, re-instated, and in 1819 became a Vice-Admiral. Robert Miller did not fare as well. In a transcribed letter he says that “he became the object of the most cruel and vindictive persecution… that has proved a barrier to his professional progress thro’ the mis-representations of that distinguished officer.”

After the Napoleonic Wars Robert Forbes, along with a number of ex-British military personnel, took their families and settled in France. Robert’s first child, Louisa, was born in Avranches, France. There is a watercolour in our new donation of the Church where Louisa was christened. It is likely by Katherine Wallis. The Forbes family moved around in Europe and sons were born in St. Servan Sur Merin Brittany, France. Finally the family moved to Peterborough.

Robert Forbes had an even more well-known brother – Charles John Forbes. Charles was in both the British Navy and the British Army. While in the Navy, Charles was present at the Battle of the Nile (also called the Battle of Aboukir) where Nelson defeated the French Navy. Another person at Aboukir was Charles Rubidge. Perhaps Charles Forbes and Charles Rubidge reminisced together about old battles.

While in the British Army, Charles Forbes was present for the Battle of New Orleans in 1815. Our donation contains a letter written 29 Jan. 1815 on board H.M.S. Alceste, off Cat Island (near New Orleans), and sent to James Cobb, Secretary, East India Company (a cousin). In the letter Charles says that the information given to the Admiral was “fallacious” and that unlike what they had been led to believe, no “settlers of Louisiana and the Floridas” flocked to join the British cause and hence they had insufficient troops for the encounter with the Americans. It’s interesting to note that even by the end of January, Charles did not know that a treaty to end the War had been signed.

Charles had two separate enlistment periods with the British Army. Like his brother, he retired when the Napoleonic Wars were over and lived in Europe, but a few years later he re-enlisted in the Army. In 1824 he worked for the Commissariat in Nova Scotia and in 1825 he went to Montreal and stayed for 8 years. He was then posted to Jamaica and, like many Europeans who lived in the tropics, became ill. He briefly to went to England and then finally retired at half pay back in Quebec.

While posted in Quebec he acted as Commissary General for the Army and ensured there were supplies for the engineers and workers who were building canals in the Montreal region. While he was there he purchased land in the village of Carillon, on the Ottawa River just south of Lachute, Quebec, in what is now the Argenteuil Region of Quebec.

There he built a wonderful house called “Bellevue”. In our newly acquired scrapbook of Louisa Forbes there is a sketch of that house. Charles was known far and wide for his hospitality and many important people would visit him – including the Governors General.

Another well-known owner of land in the area was Sidney Robert Bellingham - nephew of Thomas A. Stewart. Sidney was very interested in politics and played a role in the 1837 rebellion – as did the British veteran Charles John Forbes."

Results 826 to 850 of 904